Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Fall Project

I just picked up my "New to Me" 2008 RXT X. Over the next few months I will be doing several things to it. Anyway, I also picked up my friends 2005 RXP to fix some items and add some aftermarket things. The only problem with the ski, other than still having the ceramic washers(SC on it's way to Jerry soon), is a bad cavitation. Feather the throttle and it runs great, nail it and it hits the rev limiter. I have had 2 stroke Seadoos and am very familiar with wear rings, impellers and resealing of ride plates. Upon only a visual check, his wear ring and impeller look good. I plan on removing the pump and checking with a feeler guage, but I am leaning towards the carbon ring. Any special tools needed to replace the carbon ring? I have a shop manual, but any pointers from experienced owners is appreciated. Thanks TJCIN

+1
    I dont have a tool yet. So I usually cut the steel ring in half with a dremel making sure not to hit the shaft. It pops off easy after that. make sure you change the boot too

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    I dont have a tool yet. So I usually cut the steel ring in half with a dremel making sure not to hit the shaft. It pops off easy after that. make sure you change the boot too
    no need to cut the ss ring, he will need that in the future,
    just cut the accordion boot which is most likely wore out, and tap the ss ring back with a hammer, doing this while the pump is still on.
    pulling the ss collar will reveal the inner c clip. pull that out and whamm, done deal

Thanks for the replies, so no special tools needed. When you say wham, done deal, that's when the pump comes off and the new bellows and carbon ring go on over the shaft, right?

+1
    Its not as easy as hes making it sound. Seadoos Idea of "stainless steel" is pretty shitty. everythings usually rusted and stuck. and if you hit the ring with a hammer it could bend even the slightest amount and its gonna leak

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I should have been more specific, you tap the ss collar back with a rubber mallet, all around to get it even, then once the collar is back you remove the c-clip thats hidden, and then you can remove the pump and the ss collar will slide forwards, this is the same method as using the tool, but instead you are using a rubber mallet, I'm sorry GGG but I would never recommend anyone trying to cut the ss collar off the shaft and risking damaging the shaft, someone that has skill doing this will have no problem but the average person does not have the experience, as some of us do.

I have removed lots of ss rings this way, yes they are a bitch to get off, but its the safest way to remove it, and you wont have any metal dust flying around the engine compartment.

Thanks for the tips, all input is appreciated. I am coming from a carbed 951 to the supercharged world so I am open to all suggestions. Hey GGG, are you Parrot Bay Watersports? I have a family member with a house on the river right past that place. That used to be a Seadoo and Polaris dealer I believe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    I should have been more specific, you tap the ss collar back with a rubber mallet, all around to get it even, then once the collar is back you remove the c-clip thats hidden, and then you can remove the pump and the ss collar will slide forwards, this is the same method as using the tool, but instead you are using a rubber mallet, I'm sorry GGG but I would never recommend anyone trying to cut the ss collar off the shaft and risking damaging the shaft, someone that has skill doing this will have no problem but the average person does not have the experience, as some of us do.

I have removed lots of ss rings this way, yes they are a bitch to get off, but its the safest way to remove it, and you wont have any metal dust flying around the engine compartment.
    you make good points

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tjcin View Post
    Thanks for the tips, all input is appreciated. I am coming from a carbed 951 to the supercharged world so I am open to all suggestions. Hey GGG, are you Parrot Bay Watersports? I have a family member with a house on the river right past that place. That used to be a Seadoo and Polaris dealer I believe.
    Yes it used to be Atlantic Polaris until a few years ago they shut down

Do you own it now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information