Question about oil filter removal

Did my winterizing last weekend. When I went to remove the Oil Filter cap to change the filter I did not have the correct tool to remove the screw. It looks to me like you need a (female T50 torx). Am I correct. If not what is the correct tool I need to buy and where can I get one.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Did my winterizing last weekend. When I went to remove the Oil Filter cap to change the filter I did not have the correct tool to remove the screw. It looks to me like you need a (female T50 torx). Am I correct. If not what is the correct tool I need to buy and where can I get one.

Thanks
    You can also use a small socket not sure what the correct size is maybe a 8? just becareful and make sure it fits snug.. Thats what I use.

you can buy a torx bit set at harbor freight

+1
    There is a american 12 point that fits. Just like 1/4" 12 point fits the charger bolts.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you can buy an entire set of torx sockets for beer money. don't f around with that. create a problem and it's going to seem like really really really small money to not have bought the correct sockets in the first place.

While I'm hear..don't use a screwdriver to pry off the oil filter cap..that can get really expensive if you mung up the mating surface or break the o-rings.

if the oil filter cap is made of plastic, get the metal one the plastic ones can leak under certain conditions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    you can buy an entire set of torx sockets for beer money. don't f around with that. create a problem and it's going to seem like really really really small money to not have bought the correct sockets in the first place.

While I'm hear..don't use a screwdriver to pry off the oil filter cap..that can get really expensive if you mung up the mating surface or break the o-rings.

if the oil filter cap is made of plastic, get the metal one the plastic ones can leak under certain conditions.
    +1 pry it off with your fingers as well.

+1
    make sure you have a couple new O-rings hanging around, just in case you break one, you won't lose any time on the water.

an 8mm socket will work. i just did it sunday morning before a ride. but it would be wise to invest in a torx socket set if you're gonna be wrenching on your ski:

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...products_id=31

i'm not 100% sure what sizes are in there, but i would imagine that it should cover all sizes needed for a sea-doo.

+1

+1

+1

+1 on the torx set. I bought my set for 7$.. Oh... and BTW ..The upper O-ring for the oil filter cap ..try $11 from Seadoo (CND)......right!

Cheers

Thread Information