Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Leak around carbon seal need help!

I have a 03 Seadoo GTX with the 155hp NA (4tec) 2-3 months ago, my jetski was working fine, but I noticed the black line on my hull from the carbon seal going bad (wasn't leaking yet). So, I ordered a brand new replacement kit that includes the new carbon seal, new flange the carbon seal spins against, O-rings that go inside the flange, the C clip and new accordian boot. I took apart and followed the replacement instructions I've seen from multiple threads on this site + from the Seadoo manual. Since that time, I have completely pulled apart and re-installed 4 times, but no matter what I do, it leaks around the carbon seal area??? After the 1st 2 times, I ordered the alignment tool from SBT and lined up everything (it was off), but still leaks just the same. I even went so far as to order another new kit, just in case there was something wrong with the 1st kit, but still have the same problem. This last time, I replaced the PTO boot/bearing assembly, but still have the same leak at the carbon seal. I made sure the accordina boot is all the way forward amnd seated propoerly; even added the sip ties on the boot to add more pressure with no luck. Anyone know what the heck I am doing wrong?? Also, the last time I was out, it was cavitating badly out of the hole + leaking; I have a RIVA stainless steel wear ring. I assume a leaking and not properly sealed carbon seal could cause the cavitation problem. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

+1
    Dude, sounds like you did everything correct twice!!! I'm sure you were careful to not get any grease on the face of the carbon seal? Make sure that the clamps on the accordian fits down in the rubber corectly and not riding on any of the rubber lip. I seem to remember the store bought clamps are a little wider than the OEMs. If the shaft is worn where the o-ring rides it may leak also, have you checked the shaft? Just throwing a few ideas at ya!!

+1
    Is the rubber bumoer on the tip of the driveshaft?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Good question!!!

+1
    alot of people replace their carbon seal because they see a black line on the bottom of there hulls, this is normal, its the carbon deposits you can see on your hulls which is wear and tear, no need to replace it, untill it leaks

Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    i dont mean to jack the thread but my rxp is in a million pieces ...and i just want to make sure i dont miss anything...

do you mean the rubber bumper i dont mean to be sarcastic...because if so mine is stuck in the PTO coupler can i just pull it out with needle nose pliers or just assemble it with it in the pto?

thanks JUSTIN

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrudel90 View Post
    i dont mean to jack the thread but my rxp is in a million pieces ...and i just want to make sure i dont miss anything...

do you mean the rubber bumper i dont mean to be sarcastic...because if so mine is stuck in the PTO coupler can i just pull it out with needle nose pliers or just assemble it with it in the pto?

thanks JUSTIN
    Yes, the rubber bumper that goes on the end of the shaft that goes in the pto coupler. You need to get it out and probably replace it with a new one. It is probably torn off the shaft.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanerica View Post
    Anyone know what the heck I am doing wrong??
    You do have the 2 o-rings in the floating ring?

just askin'

+1
    Check this thread out,if the rubber driveshaft plug is off,the shaft will move forward,creating a leak at the carbon seal.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...veshaft%20plug

I put a little silicone on the shaft an between the plug,this way it stays better on,the o-ring isn't keeping theplug very thight on the driveshaft.

If the plug is still in the pto cover,put a little silicone on the shaft let it stay in overnight,and pull the driveshaft + plug out of the engine,and replace it with a new one.

Yeah, if I had to do it all over again, I would have left the carbon seal that was in there leaving the black line on the hull until it actually started leaking. I assumed I was doing the right thing by catching it ahead of time and replacing.

Yes, I do have the 2 o-rings that go inside the floating ring.
    Yes, I do have the rubber bumper on the end of the driveshaft at the PTO end, Actually fits very tight and doesn't come off easily.
    Yes, I am very careful not to get an grease on the face of the carbon seal or scratach it.
    I did use the store bought clamps, so I will take a look again at how they are fitting on the ends of the accordian boots.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas of what my problem might be!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information