STX1100 v. 96-97 GTX , which should I buy?

I posted this same thread in the Sea Doo section, but wanted to get both sides of the argument. I already have a new STX15f (which I love) and am going to get a second ski. The flexibility of a three-seater is a must and something that is close to as fast as my STX and maybe a bit lighter and a little more playful in the waves would be nice. I ride almost exclusively in salt water and the rivers leading to it in often-bumpy conditions (three-four foot rollers/chop etc.) and regularly have my wife and son with me (who sometimes get dropped off at the beach so I can play in the chop). The ski needs to be reliable and reasonably fuel efficient and if it's not the fastest ski on the water that's OK, but it has to come close to keeping up with the newer STX. I want to spend under $2,000, so I've narrowed it down to a few skis: 98-99 STX1100, and maybe a STX 900, or a 1996-97 Sea Doo GTX with the rave 787 motor, or maybe even a 98-99 GTX Limited. It's mostly down to the 96-97 GTX v. the STX1100, as the other two seem to either eat too much gas and are somewhat unreliable (GTX Limited) or too slow (STX900). So...what are the positives and negatives on these two skis and things I should look for when buying? The older GTX and the STX1100 seem to be fairly reliable, fuel efficient, and easy and cheap to work on if anything goes wrong. I'll plan on riding whatever I buy, but would like to know the differences between the two hulls. I already know to do a compression test (or have one done) and the obvious things like looking at the impeller. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on making older two-strokes more fuel efficient and maybe a little quieter while not giving up much in performance. Group K built up a '97 GSX that got excellent fuel economy while being a lot faster than stock, I'm pretty sure almost all of the upgrades they did would work on the GTX and I'm curious if anyone else has done mods like that on the STX or the GTX. I think a quieter ski getting good fuel economy but still being fast sounds like a cool thing, but maybe it's just me. Thanks again.

Upstate NY
    Any chance of upping your budget? Sounds like what you really want is a 4-stroke. A Kawi 12F or maybe an early model Polaris 4-stroke might set you back in the 3000's if you're patient for a deal...

Thread Information