Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Just got a tired MSX150

I've just picked-up a 150 that hasn't been looked after all that well, and has come with a few problems. (I know, probably not the best option, but I needed a trailer and I got the ski and trailer for a lot less than a new trailer). Seller reckoned it was only good for parts (and he is probably right). I got it home and put a battery in it and it ran (roughly, but it still ran) so I took it down to the ramp and took it out for a ride and spent about 1/2 hour riding it. Definately not getting full power and guages aren't working properly (although red light comes on) and they stay on for about a minute. May be getting to 4800 or 5800 rpm.
    My biggest problem is the ski cuts-out after 4 or 5 mins. It will fire straight back up and go OK until it does it again in 4 to 5 mins. Any ideas ?
    Anyway, I've managed to free-up the waste-gate after following Rocky road's instructions (and checking what revs a 150 will probably get with certain problems - again thanks RR).
    Also checked oil and it wasn't showing on stick (not a good sign). Have put a litre of oil in it, but can't fire it over until I get another battery for it - in the next day or so. Still not showing on the dipstick, but not game to add more until can run it like I have read. Not overly worried about wasting oil - just want to make sure some in it - but could I overfill it doing this?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Polaris forum

You were riding it without any oil showing on the dipstick?

Have you checked the basics?
    Compression, correct spark plugs, etc?

Red light - was there also a Check Engine message on the display?

BTW, introduce yourself a little. Where are you located?

Make sure you know how to check the oil level correctly. If you add to much its going to take out sensors.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Polaris forum

You were riding it without any oil showing on the dipstick?

Have you checked the basics?
    Compression, correct spark plugs, etc?

Red light - was there also a Check Engine message on the display?

BTW, introduce yourself a little. Where are you located?
    I know I should have checked oil, but was a bit too excited by the fact the thing actually started so took it to the water as soon as I could - then decided to check things. It was the fact that it wasn't too bad on the water that made me start thinking about saving it rather than just wrecking it and getting back whatever dollars I could.
    Not sure on the check engine message - will look for it when I get another battery in the ski.

I thought I'd added location etc. when I first joined - have rectified that now.
    We have had a number of 'doos and a couple of Yammie sit-downs along with a few stand-ups (both kawasaki and Yammie) over the last 10 or so years, but this is our first Polaris.
    When Polaris stopped making watercraft, one of the two dealers in the state shut down. The other dealer is a boat shop that had just taken on Polaris PWC's about 6 months before they stopped, so they just sold off what they had and got out of them as well - so not really any support around here for these skis.

By the way - thanks for having the links to the Polaris info in your sig - have been visiting it a bit to get info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Just-Pinch-It View Post
    Make sure you know how to check the oil level correctly. If you add to much its going to take out sensors.
    Yeah, that was a worry, and is why I stopped even though the oil level still wasn't up to the dipstick yet. From the looks of the ski (and the level of care it seems to have recieved) I wouldn't be surprised if they were already stuffed, but I can always hope...

Ive got a copy of the service manual, but does anyone know if there is an owners manual that I could download ?

+1
    Thanks guys - found an owners manual
    Now I just have to go through both the owners & service manuals and start learning what to do (and what I have already done wrong) with it.

+1
    Just refilled oil. The levels indicated on dipstick are : Min | 0.5L | Max | Overfilled. I've filled to top of 0.5L section read after 15 secs with dipstick unscrewed.
    I'm just checking this is right - before I go and do something stupid (and costly).

Just re-checked some links from polarispwcknowledge and realise that it should be filled only to BOTTOM of the 0.5L section. Looks like I'm off to drain a bit more oil out. Oh well - better now than when I've ruined sensors.
    Last edited by Palmer; 10-10-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: new info

+1
    Hi Palmer, you can run it marginally higher than the min level if you don't have the breather connected to the engine intake. I would recommend a catch tank, in a roll over/tip over you can pump oil into the intake before the engine dies and closes the oil reservoir valve (oil pressure operated). You can't contaminate the sensors with this removed
    The cutting out is a mystery, there is nothing in the operating system to my knowledge that will cause this, check all the earth lugs down at the rear of the intake manifold for a start.
    Once you have it up and running you wont want to part with it

+1
    Thanks Kosh.
    Will check earth lugs.
    In the thread http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...10-Kill-Switch you mentioned replacing the SIFB as an option for his kill switch not working - mine seems to be doing similar things ie: doesn't cut out when lanyard pulled or stop switch pressed, only when start switch pressed after lanyard pulled (as I said there seems to be lotsa little problems). I think I will check handlebar switch and then probably try to get a good SIFB to try to at least rectify this.

+1
    Certainly sounds like the SIFB although different failed condition to others. I have a spare you could borrow if you cant get hold of one to try over there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information