Leaky Control Fittings???

After about a 3hr river ride Sunday with my new GF (who can't swim!!) in alligator infested waters, my ski (99 GP12) became very hard to handle and I started to wonder if I put both plugs in As to not freak her out I hoped and prayed we'd make it through the remaining hour long idle zone and back to the ramp before we sank. She was not aware of anything until we were in the truck. Now I tell her to call me "Sully" and refer to the event as "Miracle on the Silver"

Anyway the hull had about 5" of water in it. I have found the leaks to be coming from 1 or 2 of the 3 thru-hull fittings just to the right side of the of the nozzle. Looks like the lower two are the main culprits. Can someone suggest what the best course of correction is? I hate to just wrench on them to tighten? Also can someone tell me what all three actually are? I know the middle one is the steering. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00069-20101006-1219.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	216743  

Anyone?

well on a gp you have 2 'pump' fittings one being the feed to the engine(LOWER RH ) and the other, venturi for the bildge(LOWER LH).. then you have the two fittings that the trim( TOP) and steering cables go thru(MIDDLE RH)... there is also a fitting(MIDDLE LH) that the speedo wire runs thru..the last fitting back there (RH TOP) is the overboard water/air vent for exhaust system cooling... not sure how you determined the leak is pinpointed where you did ... for what its worth I would run it on the hose and watch for internal leaks first.. if this test's good, then put it nose high, on the trailer and fill the back lower half of the hull with fresh water, trying to find the fitting ('S) that are leaking... just a thought, check your exhaust extension at the hull,it may be leaking from its rubber gasket having split .... most of those fittings back there use flat rubber washers and if not disturbed will stay sealed for years and they are pretty fool proof... once you see how they are assembled, an easy fix.. a general tightening won't prob. fix your issues with these ,the washers may have split ..hope this helps some

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    well on a gp you have 2 'pump' fittings one being the feed to the engine(LOWER RH ) and the other, venturi for the bildge(LOWER LH).. then you have the two fittings that the trim( TOP) and steering cables go thru(MIDDLE RH)... there is also a fitting(MIDDLE LH) that the speedo wire runs thru..the last fitting back there (RH TOP) is the overboard water/air vent for exhaust system cooling... not sure how you determined the leak is pinpointed where you did ... for what its worth I would run it on the hose and watch for internal leaks first.. if this test's good, then put it nose high, on the trailer and fill the back lower half of the hull with fresh water, trying to find the fitting ('S) that are leaking... just a thought, check your exhaust extension at the hull,it may be leaking from its rubber gasket having split .... most of those fittings back there use flat rubber washers and if not disturbed will stay sealed for years and they are pretty fool proof... once you see how they are assembled, an easy fix.. a general tightening won't prob. fix your issues with these ,the washers may have split ..hope this helps some
    Thanks for your reply. I had determined the leak(s) by doing just what you suggested and it is the middle and lower right hand fittings. They have not been disturbed as I'm the original owner so maybe those gaskets have just cracked. I'll take them apart and see what I can find. Just didnt know if this was a common problem that would need to be solved with a sealant or something. Thanks again.

Thread Information