San Diego, CA

'94 Raider sponsons

Are there any aftermarket sponsons for the '94 raider? It seems the small stock ones just aren't cutting it for me. I ride in San Diego Bay and Mission Bay and there is always intermittent choppy water. I also have a '97 Raider that I was making a comparison with. The '97 just handles better than the '94. I know the '97 is about 80 lbs heavier but I don't think that is really the difference. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) The noticeable difference I can see are the sponsons. Anyone ever swap the '94 sponsons with something else? They also mount differently.

Bettendorf, Iowa
    Yes, stock 94' Raider sponson are a joke. If you find any Raider aftermarket sponsons, get em' while they last. Nobody is making new ones. I located a pair of Worx a year ago and that was all I could find new.

The sponson swap on a 94' will improve the handling and cornering. Combined with a scoop grate, it really helped tame the squirrelly handling my 94' Raider in rough water. The sponson swap is a pain. The old sponsons are rivets you grind or chisel off. Next, you need to remove all of the styrofoam in that narrow space, using a heated putty knife. All this is done through the small seat storage area. 94 Raiders are rough fiberglass on the inside so wear long sleeves. Your hands will still take a beating from the hours of cramped work inside. I think I had to remove the waterbox too. You drill your own new holes and mount the aftermarket sponsons.

I'm sure you can get some used stock sponsons from a 95-97 Raider but you still have to hassle with the work I listed above. If you do go that route, I have a set of brand new Yamaha mounting brackets for those sponsons.

San Diego, CA
    Yah, thats another thing trying to get those things mounted. It would probably be easier to pull everything out of the '94 hull and swap to a later year hull.

Thread Information