Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    25

    GP1200 tracks hard to right sometimes

    I just purchased a used 97 GP1200 and noticed that it sometimes wants to track to the right. Not just little, I mean really hard. Today it threw me off the left side. I had another one do the same thing and finally figured out that the right side trim tab (step plate) was hanging below the hull. This one had the exact same problem and I noticed that the center bolt of the old part had broken free. However, after I replaced the plastic tab on this one, it still has the problem! Occasionally, when I come off the throttle at high speed, it yanks to the right. This one does have Riva RY2616 aftermarket sponsons in the full down position. My other had factory sponsons.

    Any thoughts on the cause of this pull? As it sits, I feel the ski is dangerouus.

    Thanks!


  2. #2
    Hydrotherapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    3,347
    +1
    17
    Ride plate & intake grate must be check for square and secure, (step front ot back, nothing hanging)
    when you centre the bars where is the nozzle ?
    long shot but have you changed sponsons to OEM for ride
    double check the tabs fixings

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    Ride plate & intake grate must be check for square and secure, (step front ot back, nothing hanging)
    when you centre the bars where is the nozzle ?
    long shot but have you changed sponsons to OEM for ride
    double check the tabs fixings
    I don't have the original sponsons. I guess I could try adjusting the Rivas I have all the way up??

    The new right tab I insalled still looks good.

    I now see that a bolt on the left side of the grate is missing. Will remove the grate next and check out that bolt hole. I have also removed the Riva ride plate. Is there room for adjustment when installing these? What do you mean by "square"??? Can you elaborate on a proper re-install of these two?

    Thanks!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    25
    Can someone please tell me wtf a "shoe" is!? I see lots of posts about it. Does my 97 GP1200 even have one? I see no reference to a shoe in the manual. This forum can be difficult to navogate with all of the models mixed together.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    Ride plate & intake grate must be check for square and secure, (step front ot back, nothing hanging)
    when you centre the bars where is the nozzle ?
    long shot but have you changed sponsons to OEM for ride
    double check the tabs fixings
    Sure could use some help here folks. Can someone tell me how to "square" all of my parts on assembly? Sure would like to solve this problem. The ski is dangerous as it sits.

    Thx!

  6. #6
    Hydrotherapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    3,347
    +1
    17
    take the centreline of the ski underneath, plate & grate should be lined up with there centre line on the skis....so you dont want anything twisted ie plate hard left/right same goes for grate

  7. #7
    take some pictures of the underside of the ski from keel to pump so we all can have a look...

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    take some pictures of the underside of the ski from keel to pump so we all can have a look...
    To late to take pics of the whole thing assembled. I have already removed the ride plate. I will take a pic of the grate installed when I get home.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    take the centreline of the ski underneath, plate & grate should be lined up with there centre line on the skis....so you dont want anything twisted ie plate hard left/right same goes for grate
    Thanks! I think I follow what you are saying. Sure wish I would have checked that before I removed the ride plate. Do you know of a good site, or post here that has diagrams showing a properly installed setup? Should everything be "flush" with the bottom of the hull" Maybe slightly recessed? Any details would be great! This will be my first attempt to do this and I could use as much help as I can get.

    Thanks again!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas City, Texas
    Posts
    1,249
    +1
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboatertx View Post
    I just purchased a used 97 GP1200 and noticed that it sometimes wants to track to the right. Not just little, I mean really hard. Today it threw me off the left side. I had another one do the same thing and finally figured out that the right side trim tab (step plate) was hanging below the hull. This one had the exact same problem and I noticed that the center bolt of the old part had broken free. However, after I replaced the plastic tab on this one, it still has the problem! Occasionally, when I come off the throttle at high speed, it yanks to the right. This one does have Riva RY2616 aftermarket sponsons in the full down position. My other had factory sponsons.

    Any thoughts on the cause of this pull? As it sits, I feel the ski is dangerouus.

    Thanks!

    I really believe that you were on the right track to begin with. it is more than likely the plastic trim tab. They are junk and can be very dangerous. RIVA use to sell aftermarket trim tabs for this model that look similar to the original equipment but are made of aluminum (they do not flex), and they work very good. You cannot see it at first glance or on the trailer, but when your hull is at speed, resistance/drag/vacume is created. When this happens the plastic tabs flex and pull away from the hull, changeing the overall shape of your hull. It is almost like dropping a flap on a jet while at speed.... funky things happen.

    Happened on mine. Replaced them, problem went away.

    I doubt that RIVA sells them anymore. You could check Pro-tec. The tabs are an easy install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1997 GP1200 started leaning to the right when going over 30mph
    By dannyual777 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-19-2015, 04:08 AM
  2. 2010 rxpx pulls hard to the right
    By OB-DOO in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 07:06 AM
  3. just swithed to premix, sometimes hard to start now!
    By darrengee in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
  4. 96 xp pulls hard to right
    By bazemore in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 10:16 PM
  5. Rotax Racing - How hard to install...
    By Jarrett in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 08:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •