Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Detailed Jet pump removal, rebuild, and assembly?

I have been scouring posts for 2 hours and can't seem to find detailed pump rebuild instructions for my 97 GP1200. I see good bits of info here and there for similar models, but no complete instructions for mine. The manual I have has great exploded views but no real instructions. Can anyone help? I have decent mechanic skills but this is my first pump rebuild. I have removed the steering nozzle, the outer cover, and the plastic bearing cover. When I removed the bearing cover, some water and bearing pieces came out! The rest of it seems stuck on and I can see by the manual that the shaft may need to be removed. Do I need to remove the ride plate? Whats next? Anyone have a good set of instructions?

Thanks!

Well impatience got the better of me so I took off the ride plate, the last two bolts, and the whole assembly came off including the driveshaft. After the driveshaft came out, about a 1/2 cup or water poured out of the hole in the hull.

Is that normal???

Got the bolt off of the end of the driveshaft but can't seem to get the rest apart. There is a bit of rust on the bearing I can see and of course the bearing itself is pretty screwed up. Now looking for instructions on how to disassemble the rest of the pump........ I saw a post that said not to hammer on the end of the drive shaft? What is the prper method????

Still looking for a full set of instructions!

try this web site it may help. http://www.cajundude.com/jetskihome.htm
    It has a lot of pics and instructions for 2002 gpr and links to other skis. Your pump might be similar to what he has pics of.

Thanks. I found that a while back and it did help me determine that my wear ring is good. Still need info on how to *remove* the bearings. I see a lot of info on installing them but not for my model.

Also still wondering about the water that came out of the cone and out of the hull when I pulled the shaft. Any ideas on these two things?

Pics of my project

So here are some pics of my work in progress. I was surprised at how dry the bearings were considering that this thing was doing 60+ an hour earlier. The napkin shows the parts that fell out of the cone after I removed it, and drained the water. I especially like the ball bearing that is split right in the middle.

I wonder if my cavitation problem could be caused by the little dings in the rear of the impeller? Check out the other side of the impeller (engine side). Looks like someone has been here before! Notice the scratches on the shaft? Is that oblong shape at the neck of the impeller normal?

Does anyone have a stock impeller in good shape they want to get rid of?

Guess I'll try heating this thing up to see if I can get the impeller off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00099-20101008-0754.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	216951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00101-20101008-0756.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	216950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00100-20101008-0754.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	216952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00097-20101008-0753.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	216953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00098-20101008-0754.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	216954

Well I will be tearing into my 99 in the coming weeks, so I for one will be folllowing your posts.

Should I re-use his impeller?

Thanks JMZ400. Hopefully you can learn from my experience.

Can someone comment on my impeller in the pics? Will that oblong shape at the top be a problem? Looks like someone may have partially crushed it in a vise. If I dremmel the blades smooth, do you think I could reuse it?

I few hours of heating and beating yielded no results. I cant seem to get the impeller off, or the bearings and driveshaft out of the housing. Does anyone know of someone I can send this thing off to for to total rebuild?

+1
    the impeller from what i know is a reverse thread and u need a special tool to hold the shaft and another to turn the impeller,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information