+1

I have the worst luck!!

Last week i sent my spare ECU off to be reflashed. I took ski out sunday for some test runs, Instantly the warning light and beep comes on. Code 68, I have no idea at this point what code 68 is. But, ski is running ok so i make a few passes and pack it up.

Get home and find code 68 is No-wake mode switch malfunction. Hmmm well, The FZ's don't
    have that feature and the spare ECU i bought is from an FZ also. So why am i getting this code? I call glenn at R&D and ask if it's possible they turned on the switches on the ECU for the no-wake and cruise control when re-flashing and he tells me he doubt's it.

At this point, I think it's possible that the ECU was previously tried in a FXSHO before i bought it and the trouble codes got locked into the ECU since they aren't compatible.

I met up with Joe(crashhard) tonight and we hook my ski up to YDIS. Figuring we can delete the codes and the ski should be fine. As soon as we deleted the codes. They instantly came back. We tried quite a few times with same result.

Then we notice the ECU serial # at top of computer screen 65S-xxxx-xxx. Holy crap! my FZ ECU is now a FX ECU internally.Apparently, R&D does not make changes to the existing programming. They entirely erase the ECU and put in a complete new program.

My ECU showed 30 minutes of total run time on it. That's exactly how long i ran it on sunday. R&D accidentally reflashed my FZ ECU with the FX program.

We put my stock ECU into ski and hooked up YDIS. The serial # on screen comes up 6AN-xxxx-xxx. Well, that confirms it. I wonder if i'm the first person that this has happened to. I haven't talked to glenn yet( I'm sure he's at world finals) but, I can't wait to hear his reaction.

OK, so what have we learned here. If buying a spare ECU to be re-flashed it doesn't have to be the same as your ski since they totally erase the ECU anyway before re-flashing. But, if you do that you would have to tell them what ski it's going into so they flash it for the right model.

+1
    I've posted that they are the same I don't know how many times. I've ran an FZR ECU in my SHO for a week. The ECUs are physically the same, its the program inside them that's different. You can run an FZR ECU in a SHO with no issues, but if you run a SHO ECU in an FZR you'll throw codes.

+1
    Bummer, interested to see whats glen says...

i had no idea the ECU lost its run hours on a falsh...anyone else had this zero hour reset happen..

good news is your have a spare ECU and have good people around you to help..

My hours didn't reset when I got my Reflash.

Professional Alike Racer Clazz. Teerayoot's Avatar
    Even not reset when change to new ECU Vi-PEC,
    i think hours meter store somewhere outside ECU.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    My hours didn't reset when I got my Reflash.
    The total run hours on the gauge cluster don't change with the re-flash. The internal run hours on the ECU are reset to 0 and the only way to see that is with the YDIS software.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I've posted that they are the same I don't know how many times. I've ran an FZR ECU in my SHO for a week. The ECUs are physically the same, its the program inside them that's different. You can run an FZR ECU in a SHO with no issues, but if you run a SHO ECU in an FZR you'll throw codes.
    But even with the codes, you will have no issues running a sho ecu in an FZ. The only thing will be that you will need to press the mode button every time you start the ski.

Would love for R&D to have an upgrade option like from R2 to R3?

I'll trade your luck for my luck anyday.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I'll trade your luck for my luck anyday.
    OK, YOU WIN!!! I have BAD luck. You have the WORST luck...

Thread Information