Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blow by issue resolved!!

I have been chasing a blow by issue for months and finally found out why there has been so much. First of all, prior to my rebuild and especially after, I had a ton of blow by spray (coming out of air filter of catch can) and all over the inside of the storage area with at least 2 to 3 ounces from the can after every run. Did the compression test along with the leak down test with perfect results. Turns out a simple thing.....When I installed the catch can I used the stock hose that went into the stock air intake and added the additional hose onto that which led to the can. For those who remember, the length of that hose literally lays on the bottom of the hull and then snakes its way upward. I had always thought that the length and having to work upwards towards the can was the best way. It turned out that when I removed it the other day it had a ton just sitting there. This was also causing my dipstick to blow out as well during some hard runs. Now after removing the stock hose and just running a hose from the catch can directly to the motor there is absolutely no spray in the storage area and everything is as dry as a bone. The total blow by now amounted to maybe a thimble at the most.

+1
    awesome!

+1
    So in less words you just put a tee in the stock hose and were running both a breather and stock?

I'm planning on plugging the port on the air intake and going straight to the breather tank.
    I'm going to run this tank from Oval Craft. It's a bottom breather, there's a tube down the middle, there's no paper element to get soggy.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    What I believe he is trying to say is that before, the hose had a low point in it but since it was connected to the intake it always had negative pressure and the vapors were vacuumed into the the intake. Adding the catch can took the negative pressure away and the low spot basically acted like a trap. When the pressure built up in the engine the oil was forced out of the hose and went everywhere or the dipstick would blow out relieving the pressure.

Man, I stink at trying to explain stuff. Basically, I should have removed the stock hose from the oil pump housing that went to the stock air intake when I installed the catch can. Instead I added another hose to it. Now that I have removed the stock hose and just have one hose going from the oil pump housing to the catch can, the problem is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Doo View Post
    going straight to the breather tank.
    R Doo, this is what I did when I removed the Riva set up and moved my air intake to the front storage area. I have since moved my intake to the rear. I just should have thrown the stock hose away...

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    What I believe he is trying to say is that before, the hose had a low point in it but since it was connected to the intake it always had negative pressure and the vapors were vacuumed into the the intake. Adding the catch can took the negative pressure away and the low spot basically acted like a trap. When the pressure built up in the engine the oil was forced out of the hose and went everywhere or the dipstick would blow out relieving the pressure.
    Damn NCHeel, you said that a heck of a lot better than I did and it is easier to understand in half the writing. Like I said, I stink at trying to explain stuff sometimes, Thanks.......

what he's saying is that the catch can needs to be level with or slightly higher that the point that the hose attaches to the engine so that any oil that accumulates in the hose will drain back into the engine. OR, the catch can needs to be lower than where the hose attaches so it all down hill and all oil goes to the catch can. If it doesn't drain back the hose will be like a P trap under the kitchen sink with the accumulated oil blocking air flow. IMO having the catch can higher so some oil will drain back into the engine is the best way, less oil in the catch can and more back to the motor.

Good post Jay! ...PR...

the same thing happens to the stock hose on the GTX`s, liquid gets trapped at the low point before it turns upwards again...
    I will be removing the stock hose when I install a catch can!...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I will be removing the stock hose when I install a catch can!...
    Yeedoggy, Andy's GTX is 'back in da house." Yeah, getting rid of that long a** stock hose is a great ideal. Wish I would have done it 8 months ago. I need to get with you on how you hooked up your strainer. I purchased the Groco wsb-750 a couple of months back and it has been sitting on my kids air hockey table along with my other doo parts. Man, that table comes in handy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information