Yamaha XL 800 making alot of trouble, perhaps lean mixture?

Hi guys!

Last summer I purchased a fresh-water Yamaha XL 800 with only 80 hours on it.
    Sailed flawlessly the entire summer of 09.

I wanted to take it out this summer 10' - and on my first or second ride the engine bogged down and stopped after a short ride.

Took it to the mechanic and it was a seizure, totally blown piston and cylinder.

He took the cylinder to Niscasil replating and replaced both pistons as well with WXM Prox Piston Kit.

I got it home and hoped for a smooth break-in. I sailed on it for about 200 metres, and it bogged down and stopped. The starter would not crank the engine, just as if it was a small seizure, perhaps due to a lean mixture.

I took it to the mechanic again and he would take a look at it.
    When i went to pick it up, he told me that it worked flawlessly, and that he had sailed for WOT and slow speeds, and that it had no problems "Did you remember to open the gasoline".

I got it home, put it in the water, sailed 4 mph for 50-100 metres, allowing it to be luke-warm and to get out of the no-wake-zone. I accelerated to 17mph and it just bogged down and STOPPED. Again it was seizured (i suppose), the starter would NOT crank it unless i waited 5 minutes, then it would start again and run idle.

I called my mechanic and told him that i wanted him to come down to me and take a look at it, which he will do tomorrow. Because I want to se HIM sail on it.

He tells me that I am not able to sail it idle for such a long distance because the XL 800 has by default a VERY LEAN mixture.

What do you guys suspect is wrong? What should i tell him? Is is possible to adjust the mixture without changing jets? What the hell should I do. This thing has costed me a fortune!

This entire rebuild episode has not costed me 2300$ (Yes, mechanics and parts are very expensive in the EU).

Kind Regards
    Michael

A mass produced ski with a lean mixture at idle, thats a new one!! The jetting on the ski is fine unless the UK version had some serious difference it jetting vs the US version. There's no issue with the 800 idling through long wake zones and seizing an engine. What was the reason of the first seize? That would be the first question. Did you go through the carbs the first time and have them rebuilt? There is a small filter screen internally in each carb the will clog up over time and lean out your motor. You can adjust the mixture of the carbs but it would entail drilling out the tamper caps and replacing the stock needles with T handles, if your ski is stock there is no need for this!! There are other issues here.

Ha! Same EXACT problem with my 01 GP1200R!! Keep us posted on what you find out so I can fix my ski!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    A mass produced ski with a lean mixture at idle, thats a new one!! The jetting on the ski is fine unless the UK version had some serious difference it jetting vs the US version. There's no issue with the 800 idling through long wake zones and seizing an engine. What was the reason of the first seize? That would be the first question. Did you go through the carbs the first time and have them rebuilt? There is a small filter screen internally in each carb the will clog up over time and lean out your motor. You can adjust the mixture of the carbs but it would entail drilling out the tamper caps and replacing the stock needles with T handles, if your ski is stock there is no need for this!! There are other issues here.
    +1

Thread Information