Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Talking WOW!!! 78.5 MPH! need advice on nozzel ring/ prop tweaking to get to 80+ Ride plate?

Ok, so quick run down of the ski. Full riva stage 3 + x-charger, riva water box, rude tip, 4in riva rear air, with 15/20, and 82 ring.... First thing to say is wow!!!!! i never thought jumping from 69/70 mph to 78+ would be such a scary ride!... guess this is gonna take some getting use too...
    78.5 mph @ 8250-8300 via GPS ...water was fair yesterday. 8in- 1 ft light chop...water temp was 70 degrees, air was 84, elevation is about 250 above sea level, rider weight 175, full tank of gas... VTS all the way down...couldn't move it up at all or it would start porpusing... even found some glass water late in the night and no better....still wanted to start hoping...
    I know my oil was high but i didn't have a way to remove it while on the water...
    like i said, impeller is a 15/20 4 blade and i was turning it at 8250-8300 with the 82 mm nozzle ring... should i try going to a 83, 84, 85, or so on nozzle ring?? or should i pitch the prop now??? also what's the best way to stop the porpusing? i have a pump extension but i would need glen to build me a custom long nose prop to run it with a stock drive shaft... or would you recommend a ride plate???

+1
    First thing you need is some pro opas blockoffs if you dont already have them to help stop the porpoise.
    Then either go back to the stock 83 nozzzle or 83 ring and de-pitch from their.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    LOL did you have a big smile on your face comming back to the ramp...i know i did when i upgraded to a s3 charger...

it is reallly hard to get people to understand that top speed isnt all it is about..the 0 to 60 times cut in half...when you make mods the acceleration is the difference...the hull has alot of drag for top end..that is why cc boats only go mid 80s and they are bad to the bone...but thye do 0 to 60 in like 1.7 apposed t a stock ski is well over 4

i agree throw the 83 nozzle back on it should bring you up at least 100 or so ..and you may still need to depitch a mm or so..and +1 on the block offs..

welcome to the mod world

+1
    Breon, a smile on my face to say the least! i opened it up from a idle with the trim all the way up the first time.... HOLY SH*T!!! it jumped straight out of the water banging of the rev limiter at 8600, fell back into the water and before i knew it it was up and gone again... hahaha... i meet my brother out on the river with his 55ft gibson houseboat with twin 454s... as we were returning back into the marina he lost power on one engine and couldn't get it back into the marina... so i towed his 55ft 30,000lbs house boat with the rxp...BAHAHAHA only moved it a 1/4 mile or so but you should have seen the people looking at me... i've got a vid of it towing it in that i'll post up...
    AS of right now i have the cheapy block offs... but i was thinking for the money of RE block offs i could almost have my rideplate modded... and pick up some MPH... just a thought...what do you huuys think??

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I like the Race Engineering opas block off, better quality and they extend longer to the back farther than the Rivas, they are made in germany so you know its good, I have them on my ski, and couldnt be any happier, Riva ones are too short.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    I like the Race Engineering opas block off, better quality and they extend longer to the back farther than the Rivas, they are made in germany so you know its good, I have them on my ski, and couldnt be any happier, Riva ones are too short.
    RE's are good but definitley not better quality than the riva's. Never installed a set of RE's that fit correctly without needing some work.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    different hull molds, I guess, I think SandbarDaddyRXP had a similar problem too but it was on one side.
    mine are not perfectly perfect but there are no gaps.

But I guess you're right maybe RIVA has a better fit, that I give it to RIVA, But what I like about the RE is they are longer and IMO strong built. However that does not mean alot of detail was put into the RE's

Its just a personal opinion, I'm sure both perform the same.

+1
    Funny but my RE's fit perfectly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by h2jim View Post
    Funny but my RE's fit perfectly.
    Consider yourself lucky.. They are nice when they fit.

Too answer your question on the ride plate or better block offs, the general consensus on the boards seems to be the better block offs are a must at your speeds. I believe the porposing just gets worse the faster you go. I only have a Stage 1 plus a little, and I regret getting the cheap ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information