Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Block off question...

So i have a stupid question about the opas block offs. Im a rec rider, not a speed junkie, not a wave jumper, just like going out with the wife and exploring and fishing. I want to remove the opas because i hear that it improves handling in reverse. The yamahas i allways borrowed/rented turned great im reverse, i HATE the way this thing handles in reverse, its horrible. The question is, can i get away with the riva 99 dollar ones? Or do they actually hurt high speed handling? I dont care if they dont HELP high speed handling, but i need to get rid of this reverse issue, i feel like an idiot every time i try to dock it because the boat doesnt do what i expect.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nj05nismo View Post
    So i have a stupid question about the opas block offs. Im a rec rider, not a speed junkie, not a wave jumper, just like going out with the wife and exploring and fishing. I want to remove the opas because i hear that it improves handling in reverse. The yamahas i allways borrowed/rented turned great im reverse, i HATE the way this thing handles in reverse, its horrible. The question is, can i get away with the riva 99 dollar ones? Or do they actually hurt high speed handling? I dont care if they dont HELP high speed handling, but i need to get rid of this reverse issue, i feel like an idiot every time i try to dock it because the boat doesnt do what i expect.
    Dont think they are made to steer very well in reverse. Noticed no change in reverse handling when I removed opas.

+1
    I have th RE's... I noticed the ski was more stable and predictable at high speeds and crossing boat wakes ect ect. I saw no gain it speed just overall better handling.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    This is a first... looking for improved handling in reverse I don't know of anything that will help with that... other than maybe changing the operator

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    This is a first... looking for improved handling in reverse I don't know of anything that will help with that... other than maybe changing the operator
    Hey now...lol

I really have no issues with the handling of the boat other than the useless reverse...the yamahas i allways was on turn great in reverse making docking easy...guess i just got spoiled and will have to get used to this boat...*sigh* ill suffer through it...lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nj05nismo View Post
    Hey now...lol

I really have no issues with the handling of the boat other than the useless reverse...the yamahas i allways was on turn great in reverse making docking easy...guess i just got spoiled and will have to get used to this boat...*sigh* ill suffer through it...lol
    As expensive as these things are i take NO chances near fixed objects as I have seen others do some stupid SH**. Dont beach em, dont leave them end the water endlessly, and jump off the ski and swim it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    As expensive as these things are i take NO chances near fixed objects as I have seen others do some stupid SH**. Dont beach em, dont leave them end the water endlessly, and jump off the ski and swim it!
    im concerned with handling around docks and other boats. I have no delusions that its gonna handle as well as twin outboards (now that boat i can make dance if i wanted to) but id like to have reverse steering that is actually worth something...If it ends up being that i need to just deal, then i will, but im trying to get as much out of it as i can...

i rarely if ever beach, i never run it up on a beach, i coast in to about 2ft of water with power off, then get off and walk it in. i prefer docking it because its easier/safer when done right.

+1
    The longer you own the ski the better you get with the handling around objects, I dont do anything stupid but I am very comfortable steering around anything and in any conditions. Not bragging but I feel like I could thread this thing through a needle in reverse. The $99.00 blockoffs are POSs, get the Riva Pros or the REs if your serious about buying.

sounds like it may just be me then...guess ill have to spend more time on the ski (man it sux to be me...lol)

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Take it to the lake today... ride around for several hours in reverse... then report back with your backing skills progress ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information