Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1
    bttek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    356

    MacBoost Intercooler arrived (long intial description)

    I just received a MacBoost intercooler and wanted to post my initial impressions of the unit.

    First off this IC is HUGE!! It is considerably larger than the Riva (Vortech) IC with a larger core and much larger end tanks. The approximate size of the openings is 3" OD compared to aprox 2.5" OD on the Riva (Vortech) This should mean more flow through the core and less pressure drop however the Riva IC has a very low pressure drop already. Since the core is also larger I am expecting to see an even lower discharge temperature coming out of the IC compared to the Riva unit.

    The MacBoost IC weighs in at approximately 12 lbs compared to 5.5 for the Riva. Another thing I noticed is that on the Mac the core jackets seems to be a lot larger than the Riva. This in itself is a big advantage because it means that it will not clog as easily and pass most sediment and debris where the Riva one would clog just by looking at it.

    Another nice feature on the Mac IC is that it has 4 pre-tapped fittings for water to be diverted OB. I used the supplied plugs and am not using this feature but it would probably come in handy if the core ever did get clogged due to debris and make it a lot easier to clean out.

    The welds and overall construction quality on the Mac IC seems to be very good to excellent. The end tanks and core of this IC are tig welded and has a good consistency to the welds. I pressure tested the IC at 66 psi for 2 hours and there were no leaks or any other issues.

    Mac supplies his IC with 4 (Real stainless T-Bolts) and 2 custom fabricated silicone hoses. It should be noted that the larger T-bolts work perfectly but the smaller ones did not fit around the silicone hoses on the TB or the S/C. This is a minor oversight and I am sure that it will be corrected on future shipments. Luckily, I had the next sized up T-bolts in stock and proceeded to use them.

    The silicone hoses that are supplied have a 2.5" OD on the S/C and TB side and 3" for the IC side, NICE!! Since I had the Riva IC in the RXP before I simply used their bracket that is already mounted in the boat and positioned the MAC IC on top of it. To prevent any damage to the IC I placed some rubber underneath the IC so that there would be no direct metal to metal contact with the Riva bracket. I then positioned some foam rubber in between the hull and the top of the IC to prevent any movement.

    Mac supplies (2) 3/4" 90 degree nylon fittings for the water inlet and outlet. Some may wish to replace these nylon fittings with brass but I have used nylon fittings before with no issues.

    Well there you have it. She is all hooked up and ready for action!! I hope to get some time over the weekend to do some data logging and also to see if there are any performance improvements to be had with this IC over the Riva (Vortech) unit. Some of the measurements that I will be documenting are the following:

    1: A/F Ratio
    2: Pressure drop in PSI between discharge of S/C and Intake Pressure
    3: Discharge Temperature of S/C
    4: Intake Air Temperature after IC
    5: Ambient air temperature
    6: Water Temperature
    7: Barometric Pressure at time of test
    8: Humidity
    9: Maximum engine speed!!
    10:Actual speed in MPH


    Stay posted!!
    Last edited by bttek1; 10-28-2006 at 01:47 AM.


  2. #2
    HOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    4,763
    +1
    29

    Thumbs up

    BRAVO! You just saw what an XSPOWER unit is! Hit the phucer with a hammer,,,I did. Put a ding in it. Hello,,,welcome to the show! I just did it and can do it for about 750 cheaper than what your holding! Get it?

    Oh yeah, I don`t have to plug a bunch of holes some blow hole drilled and tapped into the caps!

  3. #3
    bttek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    356
    I have not seen or tested an xspower IC so I can not comment on it. I am simply evaluating the IC that was supplied to me from MacBoost.





    Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    BRAVO! You just saw what an XSPOWER unit is! Hit the phucer with a hammer,,,I did. Put a ding in it. Hello,,,welcome to the show! I just did it and can do it for about 750 cheaper than what your holding! Get it?

    Oh yeah, I don`t have to plug a bunch of holes some blow hole drilled and tapped into the caps!

  4. #4
    Red Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield/Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,809
    Wow, just from the get-go of what Jerry, Brian, and a few others have said, it seems to be looking good for MacBoost. That is good news.

  5. #5
    Connecticut CrazyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT.
    Posts
    8,141
    +1
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by bttek1 View Post
    I have not seen or tested an xspower IC so I can not comment on it. I am simply evaluating the IC that was supplied to me from MacBoost.
    Class act... awesome response.

  6. #6
    Prohibido usuario
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jerry's guest bedroom
    Posts
    3,469
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Wow, just from the get-go of what Jerry, Brian, and a few others have said, it seems to be looking good for MacBoost. That is good news.

    How you figure? It's a Chinese generic intercooler that sells for $125-225 on the internet that Mac had some nice hoses made up for and stamped his name on and sells for $900. Its the same ic that others trashed without ever seeing it. The only thing Mac did correctly was send a few out for "testing". Jerry will test anything for anybody for free. I'm not being slanderous just saying that Jerry is more than happy to give his honest opinion on anyones product without bias. Hell, anyone would. Had someone sent Jerry a Pirahna ic for free I'm sure he would have been happy to test it before their falling out. All Mac has to do is sell one setup to cover the costs of all the test units he sent out. Go back and look at all the posts, Mac NEVER disputes the claims that it is the same ic as the XSPower. He only states that it is a quality product, which it probably is and it works great, which it probably does.

    I am not saying anything negative about Mac or his ic, the only issue I have is the price point and his refusal to sell the hoses. But they're his hoses and he can do whatever he wants to with them. If people are idiotic enough to pay $700 for hoses and clamps then go right ahead, I hope he makes a fortune on them. I for one know better.

  7. #7
    HOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    4,763
    +1
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    How you figure? It's a Chinese generic intercooler that sells for $125-225 on the internet that Mac had some nice hoses made up for and stamped his name on and sells for $900. Its the same ic that others trashed without ever seeing it. The only thing Mac did correctly was send a few out for "testing". Jerry will test anything for anybody for free. I'm not being slanderous just saying that Jerry is more than happy to give his honest opinion on anyones product without bias. Hell, anyone would. Had someone sent Jerry a Pirahna ic for free I'm sure he would have been happy to test it before their falling out. All Mac has to do is sell one setup to cover the costs of all the test units he sent out. Go back and look at all the posts, Mac NEVER disputes the claims that it is the same ic as the XSPower. He only states that it is a quality product, which it probably is and it works great, which it probably does.

    I am not saying anything negative about Mac or his ic, the only issue I have is the price point and his refusal to sell the hoses. But they're his hoses and he can do whatever he wants to with them. If people are idiotic enough to pay $700 for hoses and clamps then go right ahead, I hope he makes a fortune on them. I for one know better.

    Class act...awsome response!

  8. #8
    Red Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield/Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    How you figure?
    I figure because even though I am running a Rotax Racing Intercooler and have no intentions of switching, it is nice to see other alternatives such as the XS, Mac, and Piranha's which seem to work just as good as the bigger names but are a less expensive alternative for others on a tighter budget. Plus, maybe I like to go with the underdog occasionally.
    Last edited by Red Devil; 10-28-2006 at 07:33 PM.

  9. #9
    HOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    4,763
    +1
    29
    Thats just it,,,the XS is the underdog.

  10. #10
    SplishSplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Belle River Ont Canada
    Posts
    1,184
    +1
    98
    12 lbs!! Does it come with a counterweight so you can keepp the ski level.
    12 lbs with no mounting bracket, man thats a lot if inertial weight not to be tied down. Hope wave jumping doesn;t tear something up in the ski.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS - Parts 2008 OEM Intercooler - LONG
    By TheEngineer in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 01:38 PM
  2. FS Old style RXPX LONG Intercooler $300
    By Cody25911 in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 04:48 PM
  3. Macboost intercooler
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-27-2006, 11:20 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 07:42 PM
  5. Jerry-R/R intercooler bracket - Did you run that long screw
    By RXPDAVID in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 09:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •