2003 GTX SC oil pressure error code P1202 need explanation/photo of switch locations

2003 GTX SC oil pressure error code P1202 need explanation/photo of switch locations.

I can easilly see the one by the filler tube, but I have been reading the forums and it sounds like the other is usually the cause any help thanks

a photo of both would really help

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    I noticed you had another thread listed that you can not get ovre 40 mph. This is most likely your cause. Not your sc or other issues. The ECU puts the ski in to a "limp" mode to protect you from blowing up the motor.

And do you know that the problem is a switch? Could be that your pump is worn out or a filter is clogged.

+1
    not a switch, but I think the sensors going bad is a common problem. Do a search for oil sensors and read several threads.

Turbo Doo's from Down Under one1one's Avatar
    There are actually two oil switches on a '03 model, the one on the rear of the motor (front of craft) near the filler is for case pressure.
    It is there to check that the TOPS valve is open and the engine can ventilate.
    The P1202 fault code is normally a result of that switch being bad.
    Change it out to the 420256885 super-session & your problem will be solved.

+1
    Forgive my ignorance, but this is the first time (actually second time in the same thread) I have heard it referred to as an "oil switch". If we are talking about the same part, I think I have read it referred to as an "oil pressure sensor". Are they one and the same or two different parts?

Well I ordered a repair manual so I can figure out where the second sensor is every one has photos of the one you can see by the filler neck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsgp1200 View Post
    Well I ordered a repair manual so I can figure out where the second sensor is every one has photos of the one you can see by the filler neck.
    Sorry i dont have a photo of the other oil pressure switch for you, but i can tell you where it is. It`s located on the engine block, below the air intake manifold.
    You can use the online microfiches in the OE Replacement Parts Store, to locate the part.
    Go into the OE Replacement Parts Store. From the next page select, Seadoo PWC. From the next page, put in your model year, then select your model from the listing. Under the Engine section, select Engine Block. On the microfiche you will see the part you are looking for, Part No 31 (oil pressure switch). You can put in how many parts you need into the box beside the part No. If you scroll to the bottom of the parts listing and select Add To Cart, the next page that comes up will actually show you the proper OEM part No, which should be 420256777. I used this feature quite a bit initially, so i could learn where all of my engine components were located. Apologies for not being able to post the actual link straight to the part... I couldnt get it to work. Hope this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but this is the first time (actually second time in the same thread) I have heard it referred to as an "oil switch". If we are talking about the same part, I think I have read it referred to as an "oil pressure sensor". Are they one and the same or two different parts?
    They are both "switches" as they work in a normally open/normally closed analogue state and not a variable output sensor type state.

The one on the starboard side of the block (near the throttle body) with the single grey wire is the actual oil pressure switch, the ECU ignores this input below 4,000 rpm due to oil pressure fluctuation at these low rpm.

The one on the front of the motor near the filler (only on -05 models) with the fuel injector type plug is the crankcase vent pressure switch that check TOPS operation, the 2006- models do not have this switch (or the electronic TOPS valve) as the TOPS valve is mechanical & on the cylinder head next to the cam sensor.

The P1202 error mentioned above is from the one near the filler, the 2002-03 had an earlier part number that was very common to cause that fault, the 2004 & 05 models had the 420256885 part that is much more reliable.

The BRP parts catalogs correctly refer to them as "switches" but the word sensor is quite acceptable, IMHO it is the way they operate not what they do that gives them that name. ie- They "sense" an input and "switch" their output.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by one1one View Post
    They are both "switches" as they work in a normally open/normally closed analogue state and not a variable output sensor type state.

The one on the starboard side of the block (near the throttle body) with the single grey wire is the actual oil pressure switch, the ECU ignores this input below 4,000 rpm due to oil pressure fluctuation at these low rpm.

The one on the front of the motor near the filler (only on -05 models) with the fuel injector type plug is the crankcase vent pressure switch that check TOPS operation, the 2006- models do not have this switch (or the electronic TOPS valve) as the TOPS valve is mechanical & on the cylinder head next to the cam sensor.

The P1202 error mentioned above is from the one near the filler, the 2002-03 had an earlier part number that was very common to cause that fault, the 2004 & 05 models had the 420256885 part that is much more reliable.

The BRP parts catalogs correctly refer to them as "switches" but the word sensor is quite acceptable, IMHO it is the way they operate not what they do that gives them that name. ie- They "sense" an input and "switch" their output.
    tomAto - tomato. Same thing, only different!? lol. Thanks for the clarification. --J

Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    tomAto - tomato. Same thing, only different!? lol. Thanks for the clarification. --J
    Yeah, I didn't use the word switch to correct you, thats just what I call it.

When dealing with our technicians all day I always want them to use the correct terms so there is never a communication problem over a job.

Thread Information