2000 gsx rfi not starting!

I tried to take my ski out yesterday & it started before I left the house, but once I got it in the water it just clicked! I took it back out & took it home. I tried to start it at home & it did the same thing. I turned the shaft underneath to free up the starter (I thought it was hung up.), after that it fired up once. Then it was right back doing again! I know the engine is not locked up, I took the spark plugs out & turned over the motor, everything seems to be working ok. The battery is brand new, so I'm thinking the starter may be bad, but I need a second opinion. Please help!!

Quote Originally Posted by donahue_85 View Post
    I tried to take my ski out yesterday & it started before I left the house, but once I got it in the water it just clicked! I took it back out & took it home. I tried to start it at home & it did the same thing. I turned the shaft underneath to free up the starter (I thought it was hung up.), after that it fired up once. Then it was right back doing again! I know the engine is not locked up, I took the spark plugs out & turned over the motor, everything seems to be working ok. The battery is brand new, so I'm thinking the starter may be bad, but I need a second opinion. Please help!!
    Battery is brand new but do you put it on the charger before taking the ski out? Always make sure the battery is fully charged before riding.

If the battery is fully charged then what happens when you jump the solenoid ? Take a big screwdriver and bypass the solenoid. See if it cranks that way.

It just makes a big spark & still nothing. It doesn't sound like the starter is trying to kick over either. I know when you do that on a car/truck it usually would fire it up.

First off jumping across starter relay on a seadoo is not a wise idea you'll get away with it 9 out of 10 times until you surge the ecm.But enough of that if you are sure motor is free and you get a big spark across relay posts,your starter brushes are grounded or shorting.pull starter and see if it spins putting 12 volts to it,its either bad starter or your starter positive is grounded if you are getting power across the starter relay,normally easy way to see if engine is locked up or pump is hit start if motor jumps in mounts but doesnt spin over ,pump is locked,if no movement then engine or starter .>JMHO>Marvin

Well, I got the starter out & the bendix gear was hung up! I have a new starter on order, it should be here in a few days. I did check the engine by spining it over by hand to be sure it wasn't frozen up. Everything seems to be in good working order, other than the starter. Once I get the new one in there I will be sure to let you all know how it works out.

Also, I don't think I'll be doing anymore jumping circuts or jump-starting my ski. I don't think I need to be making a post about a fried ECM!

Wasn't really even going to respond to this again but, how exactly does a starter relay work? It sucks a metal disc to the back side of both batt terminals and completes a connection between the two. What happens every time the connection is made or broken? Voltage spikes. What's that metal disc look like over time? Looks like it has burn marks on it due to arching . Any special shielding inside a starter relay? Nope nothing special inside. Also never said to rattle a screw driver around between the terminals and space out on the fireworks show either. Just leaves me wondering if Seadoos computers are so touchy why power it off one of the terminals at the starter relay? JMHO

Thread Information