Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

issues with X-charger upgrade

i already had a 4" kana intake, riva grate, R&D steering nozzle (not auto-trim), catch can, and OPAS block offs installed. i installed a pump wedge, riva VTS extension (too long for my wake pro, so i drilled it deeper, cut it shorter, and tapped it accordingly), X-charger, 42 lb injectors, and a solas 15/20 prop. i found out quickly that i didn't have the VTS adjusted properly, as steering was stiff with it all the way down. but i adjusted the trim up to the middle and got it moving. water was like glass, temps down from the last time i ran it when it did 65.8 mph (70 on the dreamometer) before the X-charger upgrade, and with the trim all the way up, i could only get to 63 mph on the gauge at around 7500 rpm. i know the trim not going up higher will have an impact on the top speed, but i don't think it can make nearly that kind of difference. on top of the loss in top speed, when i was heading back to the dock i cut the bars a bit too much with the VTS too far down and the top screw from the steering nozzle came loose and the nozzle flopped off. not a great way to start my day on the water. the first thing i checked after seeing what happened to the nozzle was the high pressure line off the charger, and that is fully secured with otiker clamps. what else should i be looking for? or is it an issue with the prop pitch or steering nozzle?

Your vts rod could be too short causing the trim ring to trim up too high. I had this prob with the vts in my rxt, I made my vts rod too long and when i would trim it all the way down I would loose like 4mph or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by sumo500 View Post
    Your vts rod could be too short causing the trim ring to trim up too high. I had this prob with the vts in my rxt, I made my vts rod too long and when i would trim it all the way down I would loose like 4mph or something like that.
    +1

I woud highly recommend getting your ecu reprogrammed for those 42's to get the full benefit of them as well!

ok, so the trim can have a bigger impact than i thought on top speed. but does that still have an effect on the rpm's that much? i know the trim was too low, since when it was all the way down, there was some binding when steering full tilt.

i thought when doing the x-charger upgrade on a 215 you just need to install the 42's and it would be good enough?

thats what I did. I've been running that setup for the past 30 hrs with no problems.
    what are your rpms at? it still should be the same rpms, just your speed should be slowly if i can remember correctly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sumo500 View Post
    thats what I did. I've been running that setup for the past 30 hrs with no problems.
    what are your rpms at? it still should be the same rpms, just your speed should be slowly if i can remember correctly.
    Most people would be fine that live in florida.... when it gets to the cooler weather definatly advise getting a rrfpr for a peice of mind. i have x charger and bosch injectors.... with r&d wedge and extention rod.... everything works good... your gonna loose alot of Rpms with the trim all the way down or up.... pull ski out of water and see if your trim indicator is same position on the back of ski.... and adjust steering cable at the front of ski not rear....

thanks for the info. i adjusted the steering at the front because there wasn't much threads left in the back. but i wasn't sure how to adjust the VTS, so i just set it with the steering nozzle all the way down. so needless to say i know that's not the right way, lol. i didn't even know there was a trim indicator in the rear. i'll have to look for that when i replace the parts. figured it was a good time to upgrade to the riva reduction nozzle and i'm putting my stock steering nozzle back on in place of the R&D nozzle.

so the VTS being too far down really does have that big of an impact on everything. i had to cut another 1.5" off the riva adjustable VTS rod to get it right. not it feels fastest at half on the VTS, so i'll have to dial it down a tad once i get some GPS runs to see for sure what it likes best.

now my wake pro jumps out of the water on holeshot enough to unload the pump, drops back in the water and jumps out again before settling in the water. not bad for a heavy 3 seater with a nearly full front storage compartment with two small coolers full of ice and drinks and a full tank of fuel. once i get the VTS dialed in so top speed is a click or two below the top, i'm gonna tweak the prop. i could only get it up to about 7800 rpm. course i'm getting a RIVA ECU, 50 lb injectors, 15/22 prop, and a few other things this week, so i might not bother tweaking the 15/20 prop. not sure what to do, since i probably won't be installing the ECU until i get the valve train upgrade in a month or two.

+1
    It aint your trim. If you are only turning 7500 rpm, you have a boost leak somewhere.

i'm running the stock 90ish degree elbow with otiker clamps, so not sure where else there could be a boost leak. i didn't hear anything that sounds like a leak. with the VTS adjusted better, i picked up 300 rpm, which i am assuming from the trim trying to push the nose into the water. i was wondering if the 20 finish angle on the prop might be too much, since it's a three seater. i normally see the two seaters running the 15/20 prop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information