kokatat super nova dry suit

So I'm a little peeved about having the season come to a close here in the NYC area. I have a wetsuit, but have never really liked it: tired of urinating on myself and being cold, damp, and smelly at the end of the day. So I've started to look into purchasing a dry suit; the kind fish-hugging kayakers wear. After looking into several brands, I think I've narrowed it down to a Koktatat Super Nova dry suit. At $480 bucks, it ain't exactly cheap, but since I do most of my riding alone on the Hudson River/East River, if I sink or take a plunge into the drink, I'm going to have to save myself until someone comes and saves me. Now has anyone had any experience with this brand or any other brand of dry-suit? The sales man told me that with this suit, if I have the proper undergarments on, even if a take a plunge into 40 degree water, I will easily last at least 2 to 3 hours before I have to start preparing myself for my "final ride."

Thought please. What do you guys in Alaska, Canada, and the Northern part of the country wear when the "official" season runs out and you still want to ride?

+1
    I don't know, I live in Florida.

But if you PM Shawn Alladio, I'll bet she can give you some insights into the best cold water safety gear.

I've owned and used a wet suit for over 4years...never pissed in my suit.

Well bravo for you! It seems you don't have my issues. With that being said, any thoughts on Dry suits?

+1
    Yeah, I don't get the urinating thing.
    Are you going to urinate in the $500 dry suit?

That's one of the advantages of a dry-suit. The one that I'll be getting specifically has a "relief zipper" built in so you don't have to go through the discomfort of either holding it in for half the day, or giving yourself a momentary warming. Also since you're dry, the urge to urinate is much less. Another advantage, is that one can wear their street clothes underneath. For what I'm going to be using it for, I see little if any downside to owning one.

I just remember last year I went for a day ride with a group of fellows on the CT. river. Afterwards, I had a long drive home wearing damp clothes with the uncomfortable thought that my feet had been soaking in urine for most of the day (I had riding boats on and I "drained" into my boots). It was a rather disgusting way to end an otherwise beautiful day.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner View Post
    ...any thoughts on Dry suits?
    If I could afford one, I'd have one.

+1
    watcom had a few years back had a line on some nice dry suits (get the zipper in the front!)

cd

+1
    why not just buy Mustang survival jacket & pants?

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/produ...egory.php?mc=6

Thread Information