+1

Performance mods for 717 motor?

What are good options. As this motor is getting less and less common, I don't see many aftermarket parts available for it at online retailers. Anybody had some experience juicing up this motor. What could I expect to get out of it and still run on 92 octane or less. My 2002 GTI currently is a dog in my opinion. Does 44 mph on good day. Evidently this is common for one of these. Its over 600 lbs. and 85 hp just isn't enough.

Can I get this up to 100 hp? Will that push the ski 50 mph. Back in the day I rememmber seeing ads for exhaust pipes that would add 10-15 to this engine, are they still around. I realize I'd have to rejet and go with flame arrestors, and likely a different impeller?

Anyone?

+1
    a factory pipe would be the best bang for the buck, PWI personal watercraft illustrated did an article way back on an HX an the GTI with the 720, the FFP really woke it up, like 4-5 more top end and way better acceleration.

Google factory pipe, I imagine they still make them new, or search ebay, they pop up everyonce and a while. Post on the wanted section here and on PWCtoday.com

I wouldn't throw much more at the 720, they are pretty tweaked from the factory, you should check out your pump, I'm sure it could use a rebuild and maybe a new impeller. If you want bottom end throw a head on it.

+1
    Very informative, thanks. I'll look out for the pipe. I'm not too worried about low end, but a head is a pretty easy swap.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    16/23 solas x prop.

Unfortunately the weight of the GTI is the enemy in your case. Case in point, on a GPS my 95 XP with my wife on it will do 58-59 on a not too hot day in the spring with my 115 lbs wife on it. With my 238 lbs self I am lucky to see 56+.
    Through trial and error I have come up with the perfect package but in the end I have found that I should have just gone ahead and sold it and bought an X-4 with the 781 or 787 engine in it. I am sure that I have spent upwards of 10K (including boat) on that thing just to get it in the 110-120 horsepower range. Guess what the 96 xp is stock? 110. If I were you, I would put the impeller in, send the head to PPG. Basically order one of their Level one kits. This will wake it up a bit down low and maybe add a couple of mph. After grenading my engine four times in search of speed I am now a proud owner of a sort of stock 2000 XP and looking for a stock RXP. Yes the two 95 XPs will remain but damn they can get expensive.

But in case you are interested,
    1995 XP
    Ported cases and cylinders
    3 times bored
    Milled head
    Factory Pipe
    Jetentics flywheel (probably misspelled that)
    Solas XO prop
    Blueprinted pump
    MSD ignition
    NO intake grate
    Oddessy sponsons
    3 degree trim plate
    trued hull, well it was at one time
    UMI steering and handlebars
    R&D Venturi and Steering Nozzle
    Well you get the point, crap load of money for not a lot of speed. Of course it will dang get there quick though, and I suppose that was the point.

+1
    Okay, here's the deal. I've got a 2002 GTI that needs an engine. I have the original 717, could rebuild and use it as is but too slow for a modern three seater if you ask me, probably the slowest one made since 2000 if I had to guess. 85 HP in a 612 lb. machine just isn't working too well. I have several 787 engines around that need a rebuild too, I could do the hull mod required to get that in the ski, but I'm not sure how much trouble that's going to be. I know the 787 is normally a three point mount, but it fits right onto a 717 motor plate, its just 1 1/2 inches too tall when you put all that in the ski. So some how I have to figure that out. Do that and I've got 110 hp with no mods to the engine, I'm sure it'll turn 50 mph that way.

I should probably just get it running again and sell next spring, get something faster if that's what I want. Its just the ski is so nice otherwise, nice shape, nice gauges, comfortable seat, I like the OPAS steering too, believe it or not.

Thread Information