Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2002 Genesis i. How much smoke is normal?

Just got my ski going last night after getting the emm back from DFI. I started it up and some smoke at idle, not too bad I dont think but when you hit the gas it is really putting it out there. It has not been ran in a few months so I was thinking maybe it had some excess in the crackcase? I checked the alignment mark on the oil pump control arm and its where it needs to be. What is normal for this engine? What about in the water, what should I expect as far as smoke? Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Properly running, the fuel injected Ficht engines don't smoke much at all, especially once they have warmed up a little.

If you have 2-stroke oil accumulated in the crank case or the engine was fogged then it will smoke until it gets a chance to wind up with a load on it (in the water). That will burn off the excess oil in short order.

You can test it by keeping it strapped to the trailer, front and rear. Back down the launch ramp until the jet pump intake is submerged, then you can run the engine for as long as you need to verify it is working properly. You can even apply throttle. Just make sure it really is well tied down.

Leave the seat off and you can look for water and exhaust leaks, and check engine temperatures with your hand.

Sounds good. I hope that is what it is. I just got done running it for about 30 seconds to check the fuel pressure and I got 26 PSI but it didnt come up right away, it was a slow climb to 26, is that normal also? I would think with a fuel pump it would come up faster but I guess as long as it gets there and can keep up it would be ok....?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    ...I just got done running it for about 30 seconds to check the fuel pressure and I got 26 PSI but it didn't come up right away, it was a slow climb to 26, is that normal also?

I would think with a fuel pump it would come up faster...?
    Fuel pressure should jump up right away (few seconds at most). It is an electric fuel pump.

Perhaps there was some air in the fuel lines that needed to be purged.

Test it again later. If it is still slow to build pressure, something isn't right.

I think I figured it out. When I hooked my pressure tester to it the line was full of air so after I purged the relief valve and tried it again, it came right up in about 3 seconds. To verify, I turned it off let it sit and go back to zero then tried it again and can right up to pressure. I know I saw it before on here but couldnt find it again but how long at a time is it safe to run the engine without water before I have to let it cool down? I am thinking I read 1-2 minutes max but wasnt sure..... I been looking at a flush kit for it and I assume it hooks up to the water rail by removing one of the threaded plugs towards the rear on either side.

1-2 MINS?!

With NO water, you dont want to run the engine more than about 10 seconds. 1-2 mins would be the most you would want to run it on a hose...

Got it. I feel like I need to hold up my "I am stupid sign" now lol. It had been a while since I read about that on here and I was way off obviously. Well hopefuly I didnt jack up the engine since I ran it for about 30 seconds straight earlier.....The engine wasnt even warm to the touch when I shut it off so I think its all good but I wont do that again since it is a new engine. I see these guys at the lake start theirs up (yes, 2 cycles) on the lift all the time out of the water and let them warm up for like a minute lol

+1
    ...how long at a time is it safe to run the engine without water before I have to let it cool down?

... I been looking at a flush kit for it and I assume it hooks up to the water rail by removing one of the threaded plugs towards the rear on either side.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    ...With NO water, you don't want to run the engine more than about 10 seconds.

1-2 mins would be the most you would want to run it on a hose...
    10-20 seconds without cooling water is OK.

2 minutes MAXIMUM when running on the hose. The jet pump and drive shaft seals are not cooled by the garden hose connection, hence the time limit.

Also, the reverse flush connection (which does indeed connect to the threaded fitting on the cooling rail) doesn't evenly cool all cylinders.

That is why we recommend taking to the launch ramp and testing it while still strapped to the trailer. Unlimited run time, proper water cooling, and a water load for the engine to work against.

Unless you ride in salt water or live a long way from the launch ramp there is very little need to use a garden hose for cooling. Most tests can be done in under 20 seconds of engine run time.

If you DO use a garden hose, the required sequence is;
    Engine start, THEN water on
    Water off, THEN engine off

This ensures that water will never back flow from the exhaust system into the engine.

It should be fine after 30 seconds. If the engine is really cold, and youre just running it at idle, 30 seconds isnt a issue. Its just a good general rule to keep it very brief. And if it feels hot, kill it right away.

Ive ran my old POS SL650 for about 1 min at idle without water all the time, and it still only felt warmish hot. If you start off with a 40º engine, it takes quite a bit longer for it to get hot. If the engine is already warm from previous running, or its 100º outside, it can overheat quickly out of water.

+1
    ... hopefully I didn't jack up the engine since I ran it for about 30 seconds straight earlier.....

...I see these guys at the lake start theirs up (yes, 2 cycles) on the lift all the time out of the water and let them warm up for like a minute...
    Your engine will be fine after that 30 second idle from stone cold.

The guys who you see 'warming up' their engines out of the water must have carburetor engines, and poorly tuned ones at that. They are using the heat build up in the engine to compensate for a carburetor system that doesn't work properly when cold.

Your fuel injected engine doesn't need any warming up to start and run properly. I find that it helps to let it idle for 10-15 seconds before backing it down the launch ramp. The warmth ensures a quick start when you are ready to go, and lets you verify that everything indeed is ready to start and run before you get the hull into the water.

When you are launching, you want it to simply start and run in the water - no surprises

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information