Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    thetolleyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    562
    +1
    2

    1999 1200 XL, any good?

    Have a pretty good trade offer for a 1200 XL, I know nothing about them. As a matter of fact I haven't owned a Yamaha PWC in fifteen years. Any owners want to give me the scoop on this machine. I'm not looking for a speed demon, just a decent three seater thats no a dog. My 2002 Seadoo GTI is a dog and I'd like to get something faster, it tops out in the low 40's.

    Pick of the ski in question.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xl2.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	217505  
    Last edited by thetolleyman; 10-12-2010 at 07:56 PM.


  2. #2
    Yellow93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,429
    +1
    122
    pretty good ski. First Yamaha 3 seater with the 155hp 66v motor in it. All of the mods done to motors of GPR's will work on this. Should be good for around 56-58 true mph in stock form. Make sure you do a compression test first... if you get it instantly check the number 3 oil line to make sure it is securely attached to the carb rack, add a set of Waveeater clips and couplers on the powervalves, put in a D-plate and sensor chip, aftermarket intake grate (for safety reasons!) and maybe a pump plug kit (to help with cavitation) and go ride! They are super stable, pretty quick, and fun. Aftermarket sponsons can make them turn better... also a well setup impeller does wonders as well. Island Racing can get you setup with the right one when you are ready for it. Also, Jims Performance can get you a rideplate thats worth 3-5mph as well. Its not to hard to get one up over 60mph with a few mods... mine was running 74mph before the motor was put into my GPR.

  3. #3
    Crash Test Dummy Smitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    1,280
    +1
    2
    Ditto on what Yellow said. Take care of it and it's bulletproof. Big, comfortable, and solid, do a few minor mods and it will really wake up. Lot's of parts out there for it too, that helps.

  4. #4
    Waveruiner pauladave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Clayton le Woods, North West England,UK.
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by thetolleyman View Post
    Have a pretty good trade offer for a 1200 XL, I know nothing about them. As a matter of fact I haven't owned a Yamaha PWC in fifteen years. Any owners want to give me the scoop on this machine. I'm not looking for a speed demon, just a decent three seater thats no a dog. My 2002 Seadoo GTI is a dog and I'd like to get something faster, it tops out in the low 40's.
    As far as I was aware the Powervalve motor wasn't introduced until the XL1200 LIMITED, during 1999. Then it became the XLT from 2000 on. Did the XL also have the PV motor in it? I've never ridden the non-PV motor, but it didn't put out the 155 hp that the PV motor did, so I guess wouldn't be as fast. Just check for the Powervalve covers to the inside of the exhaust stinger if you want to be sure.

  5. #5
    Crash Test Dummy Smitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    1,280
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pauladave View Post
    As far as I was aware the Powervalve motor wasn't introduced until the XL1200 LIMITED, during 1999. Then it became the XLT from 2000 on. Did the XL also have the PV motor in it? I've never ridden the non-PV motor, but it didn't put out the 155 hp that the PV motor did, so I guess wouldn't be as fast. Just check for the Powervalve covers to the inside of the exhaust stinger if you want to be sure.
    The headline said it was a 1999 XL, so I'm assuming it was the Limited with the 155hp PV motor. They sold the XL Limited in 1999 and 2000, then introduced the XLT in 2001.

  6. #6
    Moderator RX951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    League City, Texas
    Posts
    16,066
    +1
    23
    As said from all of the above. Also check the reverse cable, they have been known for breaking on the 3 seaters of those years to >2004

  7. #7
    For get the oil line's. Take off the pump and switch to oil mix. The $20 spent on the kit will save you a lot of time and money. I know I have a 2000 xl 1200 with the PV motor. It lost an oil line on #3 as stated above. Now I have to rebuild the motor. When I replace it this winter I will swith to premix.

  8. #8
    thetolleyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    562
    +1
    2
    Great advice, keep it coming.

  9. #9
    thetolleyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    562
    +1
    2
    I just added a pic of the ski in question. Looks like it does say "Limited" on the big "XL" decal.

  10. #10
    Yellow93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,429
    +1
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by thetolleyman View Post
    I just added a pic of the ski in question. Looks like it does say "Limited" on the big "XL" decal.
    I just saw your pic, thats not a 99 XL1200 its a 2000 XL1200 Limited. That color combo was only in 2000, I used to have an identical ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Power valve service ?? 1999 1200 xl
    By yamaha1200xl in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM
  2. Power valves 1999 1200 xl ltd
    By yamaha1200xl in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM
  3. 1999 1200 xl has no spark
    By crashem in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 08:33 PM
  4. 1999 1200 xl
    By jet ski o'clock in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-27-2009, 04:20 PM
  5. 1999 1200 xl motor mounts
    By partybob99 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 10:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •