Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

why wasnt i faster

hi guys i took the advice people on here gave me and started modifying my fzr. i did the following,ribbon removed,r&d grate w/pump seal kit,riva power filter, riva ff exhuast,gary watson bov, foam inserts removed. yesterday took it out with my mates on his stock fzr looking foward to kick his ass. could not beat him holeshot, from 30-40mph amd both of us nail it still the same only top end very slightly maybe 1mph in it. checked everything over and seems to be fine how is this possible

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by flipsfzr View Post
    hi guys i took the advice people on here gave me and started modifying my fzr. i did the following,ribbon removed,r&d grate w/pump seal kit,riva power filter, riva ff exhuast,gary watson bov, foam inserts removed. yesterday took it out with my mates on his stock fzr looking foward to kick his ass. could not beat him holeshot, from 30-40mph amd both of us nail it still the same only top end very slightly maybe 1mph in it. checked everything over and seems to be fine how is this possible
    Hi flips,
    What you have done is all good to get a bit more grunt from your motor but.......

Here are the basics:
    Speed = rpm's and/or pitch angle of the prop.
    Stock ECU will never go over 7700rpm. Solution to that is Motec/Vipec/Reflash. Your call.
    Second is pitch of the prop. Higher the angle the greater distance you'll travel/revolutuion.
    The catch is that if the motor doesn't develop enough torque, it won't turn the prop up to the max rpm's.

First thing is to see if your on the rev limiter. Get yar mate to stand on the bank as you do a WOT pass and if he can hear popping (like a misfiring) your on the limiter.

Next step is to get a prop that has a slighthly higher trailing edge. If your at 12/19 go to a 12/20. If you don't know what that is do some more reading.

Enjoy.

PS it depends on your goals as to what level of mods you need.

+1
    as gunna said i think you too close to the limiter so you are not geting the full benifit of the added parts
    i belive the best mod for a stock ski is to add a motec, vipec, or reflash and then start adding the free flow bits

kev

+1
    keV and dean are right. When I had all of my mods Inc E1. It would bash the limiter hard. Also racing my mates fx sho aways gave me a hard time out of the hole. Going ecu is the best thing to really get these things going.

+1
    Yeh I'm hittin the rev limit at wot but I thought I would have had my mate by then as for my goals love to get motec but a bit too much to get the boss, reflash would be the way but not til next year and the prop want to wait til I get bigger sc wheel and reflash

+1
    get the reflash first and then see where your revs are
    you may not need a bigger prop and with the extra speed you may be happy enough for a while without the bigger boost
    my speed was at 70 -71 mph with the same mods as you + a VX plate
    by adding motec they are now 76-77 mph, no boost or prop mods yet
    a reflash should give similar results

kev

+1

You don't mention installing an impeller?
    You can add all the mods in the world but if you don't install a higher pitch impeller to match the modifications on your ski you're going nowhere with the stock ECU.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    You don't mention installing an impeller?
    You can add all the mods in the world but if you don't install a higher pitch impeller to match the modifications on your ski you're going nowhere with the stock ECU.
    +1

With the stock prop and my mods I only reached 69 on the gps but with the skat 13/23 I run consistently at 71+ @ 7500..... and Im leaving 200rpms on the table

+1
    So what would be a good prop I've read mikefzr build thread and I seen maybe 13/21 skat sounds right as he's leavin about 200 rpms and when the reflash comes along would I need to repitch the prop

+1
    So what would be a good prop I've read mikefzr build thread and I seen maybe 13/21 skat sounds right as he's leavin about 200 rpms and when the reflash comes along would I need to repitch the prop
    With your current mods the 13/21 skat would be a very good choice IMO. However, if you go with a reflash or motec you will need to repitch the prop to get the full potential of your set up.
    Personally, I like to mod in many stages.... basically I will tune a set up until I like it and get the most performance and then add mods more do more testing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information