Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

just bought a '96 polaris SL780

hey guys, i've been reading up on all the threads i could find concerning my ski, lots of good reading, i've learned alot already, this is my first ski and like the title says it's a '96 sl780-fuji motor-triple outlet fuel pump- oil blocked off (pre-mix)-all the fuel hoses have been changed to black (i read the grey ones are bad, didn't know if the black ones are stock on this model or not)-the previous owner said the owner before him rebuilt the carbs, i tried to get a number to reach the guy but he said he didn't have anything, he did say he saw the reciepts where he bought the kits, here's the thing, it starts ok but i have to feather out the throttle to get it going and once it's going it goes, once i let off the throttle just a little it bogs down, i've checked compression (on a cold motor) 120/120/120, i have a service manual for it and it explains how to set the low and high speed needles but not being familiar with ski motors i need some advice, the springs on the low speed screws keep me from telling if i'm pushing too hard on the seats so i don't know if they're all the all the way in or not, also, 5/8 turn out? does that mean that after 5/8 of a turn it's all the way out? i've got more for later, so that's enough for now i guess, any help would be really appreciated, i'm going to try to down load some pictures now

thanks
    eugene
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji motor 004.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	217271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji motor 006.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	217272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji motor 007.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	217273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji motor 001.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	217274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji motor 005.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	217275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji motor 003.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	217276  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji motor 002.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	217277  

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

YEs 5/8 is 5/8 's of one turn out from a lightly seated position.

Use your fingers and screw it in slowly until it stops. That is seated, dont push hard or you can damage the point of the needle. Then back it out the number of turns you want

+1
    when you idle the ski around, doe sit run well? idle RPM's? If you peg the throttle from idle does the ski jump and go, or blubber like chugging a beer?

If you give it gas and let it get past the blubber, then peg the throttle does it respond better?

You should turn the low adjuster in till it stops, that is what is considered lightly seated, then turn counterclockwise the desired # of turns, It takes about 2-1/2 to 3 turns to open them all the way, but your adjustments should be way less than that.
    The hose with the strainer on the end is your bilge siphon, it operates on pump pressure, when the engine is on the pump creates suction, the faster you go the harder it sucks, place it on the bottom of your hull to remove any standing water. Should have one on either side of the ski in the back.

ok another problem i haven't brought up yet, don't know rpm's, mfd doesn't work, good fuse-power to back of unit-tried the reset steps, check out the pics, thinking of repairing and have read some good posts on the subject
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji motor 013.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	217278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji motor 015.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	217279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji motor 016.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	217280  

Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

YEs 5/8 is 5/8 's of one turn out from a lightly seated position.

Use your fingers and screw it in slowly until it stops. That is seated, dont push hard or you can damage the point of the needle. Then back it out the number of turns you want
    so 5/8 is the factory setting?

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    You should turn the low adjuster in till it stops, that is what is considered lightly seated, then turn counterclockwise the desired # of turns, It takes about 2-1/2 to 3 turns to open them all the way, but your adjustments should be way less than that.
    The hose with the strainer on the end is your bilge siphon, it operates on pump pressure, when the engine is on the pump creates suction, the faster you go the harder it sucks, place it on the bottom of your hull to remove any standing water. Should have one on either side of the ski in the back.
    i know the service manual says there should be a bilge pump but i don't see on anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    when you idle the ski around, doe sit run well? idle RPM's? If you peg the throttle from idle does the ski jump and go, or blubber like chugging a beer?

If you give it gas and let it get past the blubber, then peg the throttle does it respond better?
    it idles fine, i go full throttle and it blubbers, i feather it out to get it up to full speed and it goes good, i let off the throttle just a little and it almost dies

i forgot, thanks for all the quick responses, i'd like to get it on the water some before i winterize it

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog1971 View Post
    ...another problem i haven't brought up yet, don't know rpm's, MFD doesn't work,

good fuse-power to back of unit-tried the reset steps, check out the pics, thinking of repairing and have read some good posts on the subject
    Unplug the MFD connector at the back until you get it sorted out.

Sometimes a dead MFD can mess up the ignition system, so just leave it unplugged if you haven't already.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information