Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Temp Alarm

+1

Cool Hi-Temp Alarm

I have a '04 RXP w/ 150hrs. It has been flawless until last weekend.

I was running in a Slick Calm lagoon and did a few figure 8's and just really taking advantage of the glassy water to run it @ WOT for a few mins. I was running out to get back to the channel when I noticed a high temp alarm. I got off plane and idle'd to a sandbar to shut it down. Opened the seat and huge amounts of white smoke/steam was puffing out of the engine bay. The coolant reservior was empty and smelled coolant. Got towed to the dock and open the drains and coolant came pouring out of the bilge. Any known problems? I ran it to flush it for 30-60sec and motor idled smoothly nothing serious I hope. Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BallaRXP View Post
    I have a '04 RXP w/ 150hrs. It has been flawless until last weekend.

I was running in a Slick Calm lagoon and did a few figure 8's and just really taking advantage of the glassy water to run it @ WOT for a few mins. I was running out to get back to the channel when I noticed a high temp alarm. I got off plane and idle'd to a sandbar to shut it down. Opened the seat and huge amounts of white smoke/steam was puffing out of the engine bay. The coolant reservior was empty and smelled coolant. Got towed to the dock and open the drains and coolant came pouring out of the bilge. Any known problems? I ran it to fluch it for 30-60sec and motor idled smoothly nothing serious I hope. Thanks
    Blown head gasket most likely bro. Fill the coolant back up and ride it normal no WOT and then pin it some and see if the overflow goes bye bye.

+1
    Could be anything with anti freeze...Head gasket,Hoses, thermostat housing..Start with the simplest like checking all the hoses...Also check the fittings on the rideplate were the hoses go into it...they are known for cracking...With all that antifreeze in the hull i wouldnt think it would be the head gasket,NOT saying it isnt, BUT just dont see it being all his antifreeze was in the hull..

+1
    Ill try to check, but everything looks right to me. Whats the going rate for a new head gasket?

+1
    Check the hoses for cuts or holes..Also check for broken or loose hose clamps..If you cannot visually see anything then Get a pressure tester.that would be the easiest way to check for your leak....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BallaRXP View Post
    Ill try to check, but everything looks right to me. Whats the going rate for a new head gasket?
    THink they are about 80 bucks or so. Check everything good like sno says then do what I mentioned for verification.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=823

+1
    whats the oil look like? blown head gasket will make oil look milky..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by b_dolla44 View Post
    Actually it wont. The way these seadoo's blow head gaskets is it just pressurizes the coolant system. It almost always does not go into the oil.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Check the hoses for cuts or holes..Also check for broken or loose hose clamps..If you cannot visually see anything then Get a pressure tester.that would be the easiest way to check for your leak....
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by b_dolla44 View Post
    Not ussualy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Could be anything with anti freeze...Head gasket,Hoses, thermostat housing..Start with the simplest like checking all the hoses...Also check the fittings on the rideplate were the hoses go into it...they are known for cracking...With all that antifreeze in the hull i wouldnt think it would be the head gasket,NOT saying it isnt, BUT just dont see it being all his antifreeze was in the hull..
    Most blown head gaskets I have seen on these ski's blow the coolant into the hull through the overflow.

+1
    My RXTX back in June did pretty much the same thing. I filled the overflow tank with river water and made it back to the dock. Went home, ran the ski on the hose and kept putting coolant into the overflow. The overflow finally filled up. I went out and ran the ski the next weekend expecting for it to overheat and it never did. I have continued to check the overflow after every ride and the level has not moved since.
    Bottom line I would run the ski on the hose till you get the overflow full, then go ride it. Not really sure what happened with mine. Could have been a stuck thermo, maybe the water going to the exhaust plugged causing it to overheat. Just dont give up on it yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information