Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

RIVA ECU test results with B kit

This ECU performs exactly as Riva claims. It automatically compensates for boost with the B kit without the need for a piggy back fuel controller. They definately hit a home run with this ECU

It performed well with excellent holeshot and extreme acceleration throughout the midrange. My RPM's topped out at 8400 with an occasional flash of 8450 which is the operating range recommended by Riva. These RPM's were achieved with an 81mm nozzle and an out the box Riva 15/19 3 blade.

The RPM's were lower than what i got the previous weekend with the RR ECU (8500) so i decided to go back to the landing and switch back to the RR ECU and fuel controller. RPM's now were against the rev limiter at 8600 and i had to feather the throttle to maintain 8500-8550. (was much cooler out today than the last time i was out) So basically i gained about 150 RPM's over the Riva with the RR ECU.

The only explanation i can offer is that typically mapping that is boost dependant will drop off timing as boost increases. This prevents detonation and melting down your engine and is a very safe way of doing things. With the RR ECU the mapping is set and doesn't adjust with boost so no matter how much boost you make timing remains the same. This is where the extra top end power comes from with the RR ECU.

It might be argued that the RR ECU may not be safe with the B kit at these higher RPM's due to no reduction in timing, but there are many of us out there, including me that are running this configuration with no issues whatsoever. Now, if we were to increase boost even further that what a B kit provides we might start running into some detonation issues, but as it stands right now i think those running the RR ECU, fuel controller and B kit are fine.

+1
    Jerry, Did you get any numbers to go with the difference in RPM?

sounds like the Riva ECU set up is more of a no brainer that might be better for folks that don't want to live on the edge and have to monitor everything as closely.

+1
    TCR, today with the Riva ECU 80.2 at 8400 and 81.5 with the RR all over the rev limiter. With some pitch work on the impeller it should have gone 82+ with the RR ECU.

What about acceleration between the two ECUs?

+1
    Hard to tell without running on an accelerometer. Low's and mids felt close. RR pulls harder on top.

It's worth noting that these results were with a B kit. The added boost could have dropped it to a way lower timing map.

Back to back ECU tests with a lower boost SC such as the Riva stage 3 SC could have yielded different results.

After these tests my RR ECU might go up in price But not taking anything away fro Riva I still think their ECU is safer though.

+1

Riva ECU with B kit

Jerry,Great info ive been thinking about this set up for a while and now we have the answer.Great site keep up the good work.

+1
    no fuel controller and 999 I like the Riva ECU plus you keep some of the stock features with the Riva. It will be on my winter time list

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rab1 View Post
    Jerry,Great info ive been thinking about this set up for a while and now we have the answer.Great site keep up the good work.
    well i suppose that depends on how you are determining his results. It's closure to the wondering minds, but the decision of which is better i think is still going to be subjective. hmmm

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information