Question 2000 Genesis FFI stalling

Hi there. I have recently bought a 2000 model Genesis Ficht. When I bought it, the engine would not idle. I eventually found that the magnets had come unstuck from the magneto. I bought a used magneto and it now starts and idles fine. The engine now has another problem which is baffling me. After about 10 minutes of high revving run time, the engine will stall. When the start button is pressed, the engine will not turn over and the display goes blank as if the battery is dead. After leaving it for about 5 minutes, the engine will crank and start normally. I also have the "check engine" message up on the screen at all revs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Stefan (Houston, TX)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below to find out how to read the EMM trouble codes using a simple LED tool. Look under Ficht

That should tell you why the Check Engine message is present.

The MFI display going blank implies a bad ground or loose electrical power connection. Remove and clean all engine grounds. There is a main one down low on the left rear of the engine case. Another is somewhere around the MAG cylinder ignition coil mounting bolt. More details can be found in the Ficht links.

Also investigate the Reset button (circuit breaker) or fuses (whichever you more model uses). Look for corrosion or loose connections. Sometimes the Reset buttons corrode internally, or the plastic housing cracks.

Many thanks for your response K447. I found the reason for the "check engine" message - I'd forgotten to connect the air temperature sensor when I re-installed the engine. I've also found out why the ski is stalling. The rear piston has melted - this is the second time in as many weeks. The first time it happened, I bought a new piston, honed the cylinder and fitted a new gasket set including the crankshaft seals. Have you any idea why I'm still melting the back piston?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneedownstef View Post
    ...The rear piston has melted - this is the second time in as many weeks.

The first time it happened, I bought a new piston, honed the cylinder and fitted a new gasket set including the crankshaft seals.

Have you any idea why I'm still melting the back piston?
    Why didn't you mention the piston damage and replacement earlier? You only mentioned the stator/flywheel repair.

The piston melted because you did not find and repair the cause of the original piston failure. The piston damage is a symptom of something else being wrong.

Tell us exactly what failed originally and what you have replaced or changed so far. Did you replace both flywheel and stator?

Crank shaft seals replaced? Which ones?

Post some clear photos of the failed pistons and the cylinder. Both of them, if you can. Use close-up mode on the camera (flower icon).

We need to figure out what is killing that piston. Oiling failure, overheat, lean fuel delivery, crank shaft out of index...?

When the engine would stall and not restart was it seized?

Have you checked the cooling system for blockages? Make sure the intake screen is clear (inside the jet pump exit nozzle). Look for kinked or squashed hoses, including the small ones.

While you are at it, remove and check the exhaust water injection screen and orifice.

Also remove and check the thermostat and pressure bypass valve.

Thread Information