Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A heads up. Facebook is now publishing your phone number!

This is NOT good. Your phone number is now published on Facebook!
    Go to the top right of your screen, click Account then Edit Friends. Go to the left side of your screen and click Phonebook. See for yourself. It now has everyone's home and mobile number and posted it for all to see.

Spread the word to let your friends know this is happening so they can remove their numbers if they want to by changing their privacy settings (Privacy Settings-Contact Info-Customize-Only Me). If you have 'friends of friends' or 'everyone' checked off. theres a whole lot of people getting access to your personal contact info.

I just found this out.

Coincidentally, we recently encountered a BOT on another message board/chatroom that was phishing for people's facebook information to get on people's friends list.
    We discovered it was a spammer once people started getting spam emails and text messages and we researched the identity of the person and it turned out to be a BOT. It looks like facebook is being used for phishing/spamming. Watch out. With the phone number published, spammers can use your facebook account to solicit your phone number.

I dont know how facebook got away with publishing home and mobile phone numbers without people's consent..

+1
    Simple. I would imagine that if you read the fine print when you sign up, it will probably reflect their general attitude toward the user; that any information or pictures that you upload to facebook becomes property of facebook to do with as they please. A friend of mine found that out the hard way when she saw her own picture being used to advertise for a dating website. She had posted it on facebook, and her privacy settings are that only friends can view her details, including her pictures. Facebook, however, states that once you post it, it becomes property of facebook, and they will sell the information and pictures to anyone they want to.

Transcripts of an IM between Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and a friend shortly after he launched Facebook.

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks.

+1
    If your phone # has made its way onto telemarketer lists you can register it on the national DNC list here:
    https://www.donotcall.gov/

Before this was started it was necessary to request each company calling you to add you to their DNC list. Companies must now scrub there lists against the registry before calling, even if you haven't previously requested them not to call. There are exempted organizations though like political campaigns, charities & surveys, so it won't stop all unwanted calls.

+1
    simple i just dont add any personal info like this on my facebook or add people i dont know...

No. Facebook is generating the info somehow and making it public. I have NEVER, EVER given my phone number to facebook and my number was there.

I looked at my friends list and every single one had a phone number posted. I would venture to say that only a very small percentage of people would actually knowingly post their phone number on the internet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    No. Facebook is generating the info somehow and making it public
    Quote Originally Posted by from facebook
    Facebook Phonebook displays contacts you have imported from your phone, as well as your Facebook friends.

If you would like to remove your mobile contacts from Facebook, you need to disable the feature on your mobile phone and visit this page.
    Scary stuff

Coincidentally, we recently encountered a BOT on another message board/chatroom that was phishing for people's facebook information to get on people's friends list.
    We discovered it was a spammer once people started getting spam emails and text messages and we researched the identity of the person and it turned out to be a BOT. It looks like facebook is being used for phishing/spamming. Watch out. With the phone number published, spammers can use your facebook account to solicit your phone number.

So you know, the spammer uses the name "eric leung" as his facebook username. He is on your friends list Jerry along with a LOT of other GH members.
    Its a BOT and not a real person. Its being used for phishing/spamming.
    If you search the name "eric leung" on google, youll get all kinds of results about spamming.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    No. Facebook is generating the info somehow and making it public. I have NEVER, EVER given my phone number to facebook and my number was there.

I looked at my friends list and every single one had a phone number posted. I would venture to say that only a very small percentage of people would actually knowingly post their phone number on the internet.
    No they are not generating the numbers. The only people who are listed are the ones that listed a number in their information. People with no number are not listed. Also people with smart phones who sync their contacts with facebook will place peoples numbers on that list. They are only visible to that person though. Not everyone can see the number. On my phone, when I pull up a contact, their last facebook post is shown beside their name. Never put something on facebook that you wouldn't want the world to know about just like you would on here.

I never gave my number to facebook. Ever.

The syncing of the iphone to a contact list is what jerry was referring to above. It is still without the individual's consent. That means that anyone with a facebook app on their phone and my phone number can post my phone number on the internet. If that person has 'everyone' checked off for people who can see their profile info, 'everyone' can now see my phone number.

When I clicked 'account' and 'edit friends', EVERY single person had a listed phone number. I dont think many people would willingly put their number on the internet for everyone to see. Obviously, these numbers are being imported from somewhere.

I did not want to create a debate about it. It was a heads up. If you dont want your phone number on there, go change your privacy settings. There is a good chance its there.

Good luck.

+1
    So you know, the spammer uses the name "eric leung" as his facebook username. He is on your friends list Jerry along with a LOT of other GH members.
    I
    holy smoke! He just suggested I add a friend.
    I'm ditching him right now. THANK YOU very much for the heads up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information