Fried stator ground on 700slt

After finding your group and reading abit I can tell there's a bunch of experience here. So I know I can't be the first to see this issue. Just inherited this 700slt that supposedly ran great till one day he put battery in and noticed moments later wire is smoking.It was still at home on the trailer, not started yet. Now it's mine. The Black wire running from stator to ground stud in upper e-box is FRIED. I have removed & inspected stator, checked wiring diagram, examined harness. All "appears" ok except that single black wire. I don't want to throw parts at it without hearing from some experts if possible. So what caused the direct short to ground? So what does it need? Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Does the electrical box sit on top of the battery in your model?
    Is the plastic cover for the battery in place?

If the battery positive post shorts to the metal shell of the electrical box it can short and melt the stator ground wire (Black).

You may be able to splice in a replacement wire. Depends on how far into the stator housing the damage went.

If your engine still has the original ignition system then an alternative to consider is installing the Ignition System Upgrade Kit. You can find more details on that, plus lots of other useful info, in my signature links.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

Does the electrical box sit on top of the battery in your model?
    Is the plastic cover for the battery in place?

If the battery positive post shorts to the metal shell of the electrical box it can short and melt the stator ground wire (Black).

You may be able to splice in a replacement wire. Depends on how far into the stator housing the damage went.

If your engine still has the original ignition system then an alternative to consider is installing the Ignition System Upgrade Kit. You can find more details on that, plus lots of other useful info, in my signature links.
    When I got it there was no battery nor battery box in it. I just went back out and re-inspected the e-boxes. I thought they were plastic/composite/phenolic or something of the sort that could sit on a battery....but yes they are aluminum. And the bottom box definitely has battery acid corrosion on it's bottom surface. As well as a spot that looks like it got hot(arced). So originally a 700SLT is supposed to have a thin plastic battery box, and then the e-boxes bungee corded on top?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skitime View Post
    ...So originally a 700SLT is supposed to have a thin plastic battery box, and then the e-boxes bungee corded on top?
    This diagram is from a 1996 SLT700.

It depends on the model, but a lot have the electrical box on top of the battery, which makes the battery cover (Item 1 in the diagram) a critical component.

What model year is yours?

You can find good used parts in the Classifieds here, or I suggest contacting John Zigler. Details can be found under Parts Sources from my signature links

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119890.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	217526  

Ahh. A picture's worth much slow typing! Definitely missing a battery box and tray on this '96. Crazy design, eh, strapping the aluminum e-box down onto the top of the battery?! It's not like there wasn't any more room in the hull. Must've saved them a buckfifty. So my BLK ground wire is toast all the way to where it disappears into the stator epoxy/potting/red stuff right at the windings. So I guess I need a stator assy, battery box, and battery tray. I'll check your recommendation and see what I can come up with for parts; hopefully used. I think I have the updated system: PVL 4010402 stator & 4010449 CDI. Thanks so much for sticking with me on sorting this out, K447. I really appreciate your time and effort.

Thread Information