2002 Virage I stalled and will not start

Problems.
    Last edited by dalepatter; 06-06-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    For a test, can you swap another EMM in from another two cylinder Virage i?

Thanks Keith, I wish I still had one to swap in.
    Do you think bypassing the MFI or the start/stop module could make a difference? Do you think removing the water injection solenoid could be a problem? What does that solenoid do? Thanks for your help and insight...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepatter View Post
    ...I was idling about 4 minutes than it began to stall. I was able to restart it about 5 different times on the water. I then started to vary the throttle constantly while running and it stopped stalling. I used it all day after that. I stopped and started several times that day.
    And then I took it out this past weekend. It started right up I went about 20 yards from the dock and it stalled. It would not start back up.
    Do you think bypassing the MFI or the start/stop module could make a difference?

Do you think removing the water injection solenoid could be a problem? What does that solenoid do?...
    The water injection solenoid has nothing to do with your problem. It is a failure prone emissions device, which many other owners have deleted. The only thing you will notice is that the EMM will flag an error regarding the solenoid being absent, but no other issues will arise.

The stalling while running is not an MFI issue. At least I doubt it. You can bypass the MFI easily enough. Unplug it and jumper the security pin to ground (Purple/White to Black at the MFI harness connector).

Start/Stop module is a possibility. Look up how to by-pass the LR-503 module and see what happens.

My suspicion is the EMM. Measure the voltage on White/Red wire (without unplugging any injectors). Should be over 20 volts while cranking.

Thanks. Should the voltage on the injector wire still be there during crank if the MFI is not waking up?

+1
    ...Should the voltage on the injector wire still be there during crank if the MFI is not waking up?
    That is what you are going to find out

The sequence is (roughly);

You press the Start/Stop button while the engine is off

Voltage from Start/Stop button goes through start solenoid coil to the Start/Stop LR-503 module, which sees that engine is NOT running (no AC signal on Yellow) and allows the solenoid current to pass through to the MFI security pin (Purple/White). MFI is not locked so solenoid current flows to ground through MFI and solenoid energizes.

Engine begins cranking.

Flywheel rotation causes EMM to receive input voltage from stator AC coils and Crank Position Sensor signal (CPS).

EMM 'wakes up' and begins sending RPM signal on Yellow wire to MFI display. This causes MFI display to 'wake up' and go through the LCD display test and "Ride Responsibly' message.

EMM power section rectifies stator AC voltage to power up injector system to over 20 volts DC.

EMM checks various sensors for valid signals, including the TPS.

EMM begins firing injectors and spark plugs to start engine.

If the injector voltage remains below 20 volts DC then the injectors will not actually inject any fuel.

If the engine does start, the injector voltage jumps up to about 45 volts and remains stable.

So I tried bypassing the stop/start module and saw no change. A few days passed before I could check the injector voltage. To my surprise the MFI woke up but the ski still does not start. The injector voltage while cranking is 4v. Suggestions??

+1
    ...ski still does not start. The injector voltage while cranking is 4v...
    It looks like the EMM needs repair.

You can first check the stator coil ohms and AC voltages while cranking. If you want to be really sure, pull the flywheel and visually inspect the flywheel and stator for damage.

You can find the EMM repair details regarding DFI Technologies from my signature links.

I finally am getting around to looking at this ski, it has been sitting in my garage since last fall. How do I check the coil ohms and AC voltages. Is the AC voltage you were refering about the injector voltage? Thanks.

+1
    I finally am getting around to looking at this ski, it has been sitting in my garage since last fall.

How do I check the coil ohms and AC voltages? Is the AC voltage you were referring about the injector voltage? ...
    The AC voltage comes directly off the stator coils and is measured at the 12-pin EMM wire harness connector (unplugged) while cranking the engine with a strong battery.

5VAC and 7VAC are the spec, depending on the coil/wire pair. 5 pairs to check. No coils should be grounded, all pins open circuit to ground.

Ficht stator testing - ohms, voltages, EMM wiring

Thread Information