Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 slt 750 help with no spark please

neighbor had a fire ,the electrical box shorted to both battery terminals ,fried the wires from cdi box all the way to the stator,so i pulled the motor ,put in a stator,and another electrical box,with cdi off running one ,checked all wires since the motor was out all good ,have it all mocked up out of the ski,with a 12volt car battery because the ski battery was out of water,get one later ,any way it turns over and i saw spark briefly 2 times for 1 second ,the mfd red light keeps blinking ,oil injection is unhooked for years, tried 3 stators,3 cdi boxes ,2 electrical boxes unplug kill switch ,checked kill,ok .stators ohm good is there something if i unplug mfd ground the red light goes off but no spark,mfd shows fuel level and says oil. all grounds good,something i,m missing thanks jason

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

You do not need the MFD to run the engine. If you disconnect it, unplug the connector from behind the MFD, not just ground for the MFD.

What voltage is the car battery putting out while cranking the engine?

Since you re-did the electrical box, my suspicion is that you missed one of the grounds within the electrical box.

Make sure everything inside the box is properly grounded. LR module, CDI, stator Black wire, battery negative (thin Black wire). The ground system also uses the mounting screws and internal brackets, and there is a ground link between the two halves of the box.

You will find lots of useful info in my signature links, including how to turn off the MFD Low Oil warning with a 33 ohm resistor.

sure like to find it when i ground the two boxes together the red mfd light blinks,have a polaris cd manual and have spent considerable time on this all the grounds look to be in place.volts are around 12.4/12.6 fully chg batt ,thru this whole process i saw spark for 1 sec and it was weak,and has not been back since.negative battery black thin kinda brings a red flag,even tried extra grounds if that matters.will have a go at it tomorrow nite.thanks jason

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by power1shop2 View Post
    ...volts are around 12.4/12.6 fully chg batt...
    That would be the voltage with the battery just sitting, I think.

The more important voltage check is while cranking. Should be over 10.6 volts while cranking, measured at the battery with a multi-meter.

The thin Black ground wire from battery - I am going from memory, so I may be wrong on that point. That may only apply to the older red engines.

Disconnect battery positive. Put one probe of your ohm-meter on engine block.
    Confirm zero ohms to each of these;
    Battery negative post
    Electrical box Black terminals
    LR module metal tab
    CDI module metal tab
    Electrical box metal bracket
    Electrical box shell

everything .01 .02 11.6 v cranking i,m am just plain stumped,have 12.6 v coming thru both black wires out of cdi and show 12.6 from cdi thru coils ,so i,m thinking huh and still no spark.

+1
    everything .01 .02 11.6 v cranking i,m am just plain stumped,

have 12.6 v coming thru both black wires out of cdi and show 12.6 from cdi thru coils ,so i,m thinking huh and still no spark.
    Hang on. How are you measuring these voltages? What is the Black meter probe contacting?

The proper method is to connect the black meter probe to the battery negative post, and keep it there. Then probe all the other wire connections with the Red probe.

All Black wires should always measure zero volts, or very close to zero.

Did you do the zero ohms testing with the battery positive disconnected? What were the results?

the way you described ,0.2 average at all points,i,m using a fluke for all tests

+1
    the way you described ,0.2 average at all points,i,m using a fluke for all tests
    What did you mean by 12 volts coming through both black wires?

with the battery hooked up ,one black one black w white tracer wire out of cdi unhooked from coils meter black probe to any ground and red to each of those black wires from cdi i get 12 +volts there,which i think is weird, i would think it should only go thru one way .like i said i can measure 12 v with 1 black wire hooked to coils and measure 12 v on other side of coils with black wire to cdi unhooked ,make any sense?

+1
    Is the CDI itself actually grounded?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information