Another new RXP breakin thread

First off guys im from Australia, and i have just purchased a brand new 08' RXP! So far i have put 3 close to 4 hours on it with the first 2 being on the learning key before i decided to use the normal key! I took it real easy the first hour or two but then started giving it more however i still haven’t taken the ski over 5000rpm yet!

You’re probably going to hate me for posting another how do i break in my ski thread .... but i have searched a lot, and the general consensus seems to be a 50/50 split on how to break in your engine, with half the people saying ride it like you stole it and the other half saying take it easy!

So im just after a couple of opinions on what i should be doing now that i have a good 3 hours on the ski! It doesn’t bother me going by the 10 hour recommended break in period but i just want to do it properly seeing as im going to clock 10 boring hours on the ski!

In short i really want to know what i should be doing now, i have read that i shouldn’t take it past 3/4 throttle but then some people say take it to WOT, can you take it to WOT without exceeding 3/4 throttle?
    And also what is the maximum rpm i should be reaching before i do the full 10 hours?

Cheers guys

+1
    just very the rpm's. dont hold it any at one rpm for a prolong time.dont be affraid to open it up, pin the throttle WOT 8100rpm for a sec let and off. key is to very rpms. and DONT USE THE LEARING KEY.... Oh and i had mine broken in the fist day i had it lol...

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    I think many will agree with me here... including your dealer. Breaking in your new engine with the learners key was a mistake! It's critical that the rings be under a hard load (on and off) to properly seal into the cylinder bores in the first 15 minutes or less... by you using the learners key, this was not accomplished. There are many theories to breaking in a motor properly, and I don't believe that you need to run it like you stole it... but loading the rings so that they will seal in the freshly honed cylinders is very important!

Is there a chance of any damage due to using the learning key for the first two hours, it still runs on all the cylinders doesn’t it? All it does is limit the rpm? I would have taken it just as easy as i did with the learning key as opposed to if i was using the normal key so i dont understand how it was a mistake?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Acceleration is also limited with the learners key (you'll notice that when you run with the real key)... meaning less load on the engine-rings. I'm sure you'll be fine, no damage will be caused to your engine... it's just not a good idea to use a learner key during initial break in.

Thread Information