Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

E15 approved...let the carnage begin

In what may go down in history as the bigest blunder since stating the air at ground zero was safe, the EPA today approved increasing the ratio of ethanol to gasoline in common motor fuel to 15%

What does this mean to you and I?

Well, looks like an ethanol test kit is going to become as common as a pair of vise grips in our tool boxes.

Fuel prices will certainly rise as stations have to spend upwards of $25000 to instal new tanks and pumps for th enew blend, which the EPA states should only be used on 2007 model cars and alter.

why?..beacuse older cars are likely to start failing once they get all that extra "stuff".

I hope they dye the stuff bright green...makes sense since the corn producers and thier agri lobbyists win AGAIN.

I wrote the epa last year and said screw e15, force flex fuel into the rest of the fuel pipeline and force any new car/truck sold in the US to support it. That would have been a whole lot more ethanol sold to people who could certainly afford it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    "...The EPA's decision is based on a petition submitted to it in March 2009 by Growth Energy and 54 ethanol manufacturers. The petition was submitted under a Clean Air Act provision that allows the EPA to waive the act's prohibition against the sale of a significantly altered fuel if the petitioner shows that the new fuel will not cause or contribute to the failure of the engine parts that ensure compliance with the act's emissions limits."

One could read that as saying that it is OK to damage OTHER parts of the engine, just not the emissions control parts. Since most 2-strokes (indeed, most marine engines) don't have ANY emissions control it seems that there may not have been much consideration to engine longevity, merely emissions components.

From now on you must stay on top of which grades of 'gasoline' from which retailers have which levels of ethanol. Don't rely simply on the labels at the pumps. Contact the companies and ask them what grades have the least amount of ethanol.

Do not assume the same fuel brand in different regions will have the same percentage of ethanol. When you travel, check beforehand what ethanol blends are sold there.

Learn how to use an ethanol tester. Not expensive or hard to use.
    ==> Ethanol percentage testing

when is this going into production and for sale at the pump?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    when is this going into production and for sale at the pump?
    12/12/12..

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    12/12/12..
    oh, jeez, I have plenty of time to pop another motor before that gets here...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

luckily for me....

our local fuel retailers carry ethanol free fuel (well now I'm going to have to stock up on some testers for my customers) since we had an overly spiked load show up here two seasons ago.

in the long term, it's going to cost all motorists more money.

Shame the push for flex fuel was ignored since there was already an infrastructure in place ( in some markets anyway) for that fuel.

It's not a real big challenge to incorporate a fuel sensor and make the various adjustments to make a 4 stroke fuel injected ski work with e85 ( or any ethanol blended fuel for that matter.

If you don't know how a flex fuel engine operates, certain google it a bit..a rather good system that has a small price point increase. The beauty of flex fuel is that the system checks fuel mix from instant to instant and adjusts injection and ignition parameters accordingly. Some folks have likely been running mixes from e10 to e85 all along..as long as the engine is designed for it no problem.

The big losers here will be the owners of small engine products.

I expect more customers from texas will have trouble next year, so I'll be stocking up on fuel line and carb kits before the start of next season.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post

I expect more customers from texas will have trouble next year, so I'll be stocking up on fuel line and carb kits before the start of next season.
    why is that?

+1
    Good luck finding those carb kits!!!!!! They are extinct right now!!!! If you find some, let me know where!!!!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Good luck finding those carb kits!!!!!! They are extinct right now!...
    What carb kits are extinct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information