Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing

Winterizing

I have a 2005 RXT 215 hp does it have to be started to winterize? For for S/C is out and blown up at this point in time looking for a replacment one. And I live in Canada its going to snow shortly. Thanks

+1
    Not to just winterize it. oil change or to run stabilizer through it, yes.

+1
    connect a short hose to a pump and to the connection on the back of the ski, fill a bucket with pink anti freeze and pump a gallon or 2 into the ski until it start to come out. no need to start the ski. lube the throttle body, get some stabilizer in the tank, pull the battery and enjoy the snow.

+1
    Here is my winterisation list:
    1-stabiliser in gaz

2-fill up gaz tank really full. (I know, i suck to spend money on gaz at this time of the year but it will be full in spring.

3-pull jet pump to inspect if any water in bearing, grease or cone (replace seals and grease if water present).

4-engine oil change and filter (to remove humidity in oil since will be sitting for long time).

5-get some antifreeze in intercooler and exhaust system by pumping it trough flush port ,fill a bucket with 1 1/2 gallon of pure antifreeze (i use the green stuff cause freeze protection is better than the pink one (cause it will get diluted in remaining water left on muffler) but make sure not to make a spill cause it is toxic for human and animals) and pump it with a bilge pump hooked up to the battery.

6-fog engine cylinder and valves.

7-replace spark plugs

8-pull battery and recharge a few times during winter and avoid storing it on a concrete floor.

you are done and you ski can sleep outside all winter long and wont freeze

+1
    Or you can always drop it off at my house in Fl and pick it up in the spring.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pass1 View Post
    ...I use the green stuff cause freeze protection is better than the pink one (cause it will get diluted in remaining water left on muffler) but make sure not to make a spill cause it is toxic for human and animals) and pump it with a bilge pump hooked up to the battery...
    The pink Propylene Glycol will also provide more than adequate burst protection and is non-toxic.

How would you collect and dispose of the toxic green Ethylene Glycol that is still sitting inside the watercraft come springtime?

Ethylene Glycol (green anti-freeze) is toxic and poisonous. Propylene Glycol (anti-freeze usually colored pink, sometimes blue) is not toxic.

Keep in mind that freeze protection and burst protection temperatures are different. Freeze protection refers to the lowest temperature at which the fluid will remain liquid.

Burst protection refers to the much lower temperature at which the fluid turns from slush into an expanding solid, which is when it can cause damage to equipment.

A quick check of online info shows that a 35% propylene glycol mixture will provide burst protection to -60F
    A 55% propylene glycol mixture will provide freeze protection (remain liquid) to -60F

+1
    How to collect and dispose... really easy pal: place a 5 gallon bucket uner ride plate, lift front of the ski as high as possible (so all mixture that will come out will channel to the rear) and run ski on the hose, then bring collected antifreeze to any Canadian tire store, they do send it to recycle facilities.

The thing to consider is once you ran 1 gallon trough the flush port it get dilluted and the mixture become about 50/50, make the test on collected antifreeze, just did a sportster this week and it tested at -37'c.

And by the way, not a single drop of antifreeze on my garage floor!!

+1
    How to collect and dispose... really easy pal: place a 5 gallon bucket uner ride plate, lift front of the ski as high as possible (so all mixture that will come out will channel to the rear) and run ski on the hose, then bring collected antifreeze to any Canadian tire store, they do send it to recycle facilities.

The thing to consider is once you ran 1 gallon trough the flush port it get dilluted and the mixture become about 50/50, make the test on collected antifreeze, just did a sportster this week and it tested at -37'c.

And by the way, not a single drop of antifreeze on my garage floor!!
    You need to use -100 NON toxic antifreeze. It CAN be mixed with water and still maintain its burst and freeze protection. In fact it tells you on the label what ratio equals what protection. As there is very little water left in our skis after we blow them out as Doo says, you are getting near -90 or more with it. At 50/50 you are still at -50. and you don't have to even think about collecting it, or desposing of it. Its Totally NON toxic to everything.

NONE of this applies to the -50 pink stuff. USELESS in my opinion. If it gets any water mixed with it, its protection goes to about 32*.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    You need to use -100 NON toxic antifreeze. It CAN be mixed with water and still maintain its burst and freeze protection. In fact it tells you on the label what ratio equals what protection. As there is very little water left in our skis after we blow them out as Doo says, you are getting near -90 or more with it. At 50/50 you are still at -50. and you don't have to even think about collecting it, or desposing of it. Its Totally NON toxic to everything.

NONE of this applies to the -50 pink stuff. USELESS in my opinion. If it gets any water mixed with it, its protection goes to about 32*.
    Where in Canada would I be able to get that -100 stuff and for how much per gallon?? interesting since a 50/50 mix is giving -50'c protection versus -37'c for the green stuff..

+1
    Where in Canada would I be able to get that -100 stuff and for how much per gallon?? interesting since a 50/50 mix is giving -50'c protection versus -37'c for the green stuff..
    I don't know where in Canada you can get it. RV dealers should have it. Here, most auto parts have it or can get it. West Marine has it.
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10996

I totally drain and blow out my System, and then pour it in, so when I had my 215, it took less than 1/2 gallon to do. On my 260 with the remote IC it took a bit more.

We snowmobile north Of Motreal, and I've seen -40 there, so I know you are south of that, but Its gotta get pretty cold. I'd want it straight for the -100 burst.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information