Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Closed course handling mods and tips ????

Hi, I'm a new closed course racer and so far loving this style of riding. I have an 09 FZR and I would like to know some tips on riding and modifying the handling component of this sport. I wold like info on which ride plate, intake grate, sponsons are best for closed course racing.

+1
    If you are racing in stock class, you should probably use R&D plate (shimmed in rear), R&D grate and worx sponsons.

If you are racing in open or limited and have plenty of speed, I'd use the worx plate and worx sponsons. If you can afford it, a skat pump and drop nozzle to boot.

Oh yeah, and the new riva steering system.

Have fun!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    If you are racing in stock class, you should probably use R&D plate (shimmed in rear), R&D grate and worx sponsons.

If you are racing in open or limited and have plenty of speed, I'd use the worx plate and worx sponsons. If you can afford it, a skat pump and drop nozzle to boot.

Oh yeah, and the new riva steering system.

Have fun!
    I am still looking into this skat pump. I dont fully understand it but is there a link to it anywhere ?????

+1
    Oh and tips on actually riding close course ??????

+1
    The biggest thing is to practice and learn your boat. Learn what it can do and what it cannot do. Big sponsons like WORX or the new TBM would fit the bill. R&D or RIVA on the intake grate. RIVA is stainless steel, so you have more durability. In terms of the ride plate, the WORX plate will knock 3 MPH off your top end. But you will see in closed course racing, you might hit your top speed once in the race and that is on the start and maybe if there is a long straight away. But it will be choppy so, top speed probably will not be seen. Since you live in Trinidad & Tobago all your racing probably will be in the ocean. Unless it is protected in a cove or a really calm day, you will have naturally choppy waters. Work with the handling products you have. Get some practice. Try a race...or watch others race if you are not ready (but everyone is ready in my eyes). Once you get a good feel for the boat, you will know alot more.

For stock class a drop nozzle is not allowed. In Limited it is. On the VTS Trim, if it gets rough, don't have it set at neutral, go a few clicks down to try and keep you planted.

This is my place of Zenn smohammed's Avatar
    +1
    +1.. well said... LEARN what your ski CAN DO and CAN NOT..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    The biggest thing is to practice and learn your boat. Learn what it can do and what it cannot do. Big sponsons like WORX or the new TBM would fit the bill. R&D or RIVA on the intake grate. RIVA is stainless steel, so you have more durability. In terms of the ride plate, the WORX plate will knock 3 MPH off your top end. But you will see in closed course racing, you might hit your top speed once in the race and that is on the start and maybe if there is a long straight away. But it will be choppy so, top speed probably will not be seen. Since you live in Trinidad & Tobago all your racing probably will be in the ocean. Unless it is protected in a cove or a really calm day, you will have naturally choppy waters. Work with the handling products you have. Get some practice. Try a race...or watch others race if you are not ready (but everyone is ready in my eyes). Once you get a good feel for the boat, you will know alot more.

For stock class a drop nozzle is not allowed. In Limited it is. On the VTS Trim, if it gets rough, don't have it set at neutral, go a few clicks down to try and keep you planted.
    So keep the trim at neutral and my biggest concern is the ride plate. I do alot of rec. riding in our sister isle Tobago so the WORX may be a little to much. So I was thinking if I buy a R&D plate and send it off to Jim would that be any good for cc racing well at least any better than the RIVA rude plate ????? And when you say drop nozzle do you mean the RIVA reduction nozzle ??

+1
    When I say drop nozzle I am about the R&D Auto Drop Nozzle. Basically when you turn your handlebars your nozzle will move down. This will make your nose drop and you turns cleaner/sharper.

+1
    2 things is the the drop nozzle adjustable like RIVA's and what if i send a R&D plate to jim would that make any sense for closed course racing ?????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    2 things is the the drop nozzle adjustable like RIVA's and what if i send a R&D plate to jim would that make any sense for closed course racing ?????
    I think you are getting the riva nozzle rings confused with the RD Auto Drop Nozzle. Look it up in Jerry's store. Under Yamaha and handling. There is a pic with a good description. I don't know if Jim makes plates for closed course. I think he is more of a speed plate guy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information