Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

1200jet build thread

Just got to the stage of transforming a garage full of parts back in to a ski and thought I'd share it with all. Starting with a 2002 GP1200R, the engine and pump will be mild for now with just a high comp machined standard head, carb jetting, D-plate and R&D plenum air filter. Pump is STD bar a 13/19 prop and plastic wear ring.

I'v just had the bottom of the ski re-painted after cleaning all the scatches and dings from the previous owner beaching it on shelly beaches. If I see anyone beach this thing after all the sanding and hard work I'v put in to it I'll be sure to kick them of the back in to shark infested water.

Now that the ski is the right way up I started off with a carbon fibre pump tunnel reinforcement. Overkill using carbon but I ran out of glass and thought I'd use the carbon I had laying around, West system epoxy 205 of course.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2357.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	217872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2355.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	217875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2353.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	217876

After removing the raised insert bits with a wood chisel I sanded it flat and ruffed up the area to be bonded with 120grit 80 would be best but I couldn't be bothered with a trip to the shop.
    Cleaned all dust dirt and whatever else was living in there using MEK
    Layed down the cloth and wet out using West systems 205 epoxy and 106 hardener.
    I only used 2 layers as this is all it needs, I'v noticed some people going overboard here with huge piles cloth glass or carbon.
    I came back about an hour or two after laying up and trimed the excess off using a stanley blade. When its half set its easy to cut and remove the ugly stray strands and any other unwanted excess.
    When it sets tomorrow I'll be back drilling the holes and gluing in the inserts

+1
    great progress so far. keep posting pictures

+1
    The old intake shoe had been hit by something sizeable so I got myself a new one

I'v gone the DIY route with the cavities and managed to get hold of some time expired sealant from work. I work in the aircraft industry so this is top SH#T. Its a 2 part mix and sticks like shit to a blanket, chemical resistant and all the rest.

Masked out around all areas to be filled (otherwise it gets messy).
    Mixed sealant
    Applied sealant, smoothed out to give a nice finish then carefully removed the masking tape to reveal a top job.
    You don't get much in a tube so theres about 6 tubes of this stuff in total to fill all the cavities.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2348.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	217880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2347.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	217878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2349.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	263.7 KB 
ID:	217879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2356.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	217881

Great work! That pump tunnel reinforcement is probably one of the cleanest installs I've seen for a custom job Keep it coming

Excellent! another 2 stoke build!

+1
    i know i love it when we get action over here. seems like everyone switched to 4 strokes except for the cool guys.

Moderated
    nice start mate, keep up the great work

+1
    Looks nice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    i know i love it when we get action over here. seems like everyone switched to 4 strokes except for the cool guys.
    +1

+1
    Thanks for the comments guys! I'm iching to get stuck in to the ski again, inserts and shoe next. I put up the ride plate today and noticed it needs a lot more machining than R&D recommend. I'v needed to machine down the very front of the plate to clear the sides of the pump mount plate, plus the usual pump clearance machining. It also seems like one of the mounting surfaces is on the piss, I'm now seeing why everyone gets them machined. The plate now sits very low with a step down of about 2mm from the shoe, is this normal? I'm thinking I may shim the front down a bit along with the rear. Its not going to be a speed queen and most of its use will be offshore so I'm thinking I may need to do this to get a decent ride in the chop. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information