Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: changing my oil

changing my oil

going to attempt to change my oil at noon after work, i have question though....

8. REMOVE the suction pump tube.
    9. Hold the trottle at WOT and crank the engine for 10 seconds. (this turns off the start function and pumps more oil back to the resevoir for pick up)
    10. Reinstall the suction pump hose and suck out more oil.
    11. repeat steps 8 to 10, 3 times then remove suction pump.

so when no more oil is coming out...i put the oil cap back on and put the dip stick back in and crank it? my question is....isn't this bad to crank an engine without the proper level of oil? thanks guy.....let me know any other helpful hints

Not at those revolutions, remember the engine is not completely dry, still has lube/film on vital areas, and remember engine is not screaming hot.

remove the suction tube, leave dipstick out, leave engine fill cap off, and squeeze throttle all the way to put it into flood mode and crank for 10 seconds, then immediately insert siphon tube and pull more oil out, when you can no longer pull out oil, you are done, should take 3-4 times doing this. The reason to crank over engine for 10 seconds, is #1 - not to overheat starter, and 2 - it returns the oil back into the sump from other areas of the engine. when finished, simply change oil filter and o-rings, add oil and go. I would measure how much your pulling out and re-fill with that, if you aren`t overfilled to begin with. if you were, then start off with 3 quarts and check from there!...PR...

def the easiest thing i ever did regarding this ski....took a half hour and only spent 40$ on the brp oil and filter...compared to the 150$ the dealer would charge me...thanks to everyone and pale rider for the clarifications....i managed to get 3 quarts out

I average 3.2 Quarts on my oil change. You did good!

yeah i prob got around their, i was a tad more than 3 quarts....this thing was a huge help http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-C...spagenameZWDVW

Oil boy for me, That will work! Did you put in new O rings? I usually tear the top one prying the oil cap off.

no i actually didnt tear it, i was surprised to say the least....very easy but it took some elbow to get that filter cap off

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy River View Post
    DId you torque it down to 89 lbs? (oil filter)
    OK, the bolt toruqe is 80inch pounds or 9 newton meters.
    Here is a simple way to get the cover off the filter housing without damaging the contact surfaces or o-rings...

insert shouldered screw/bolt thru hole in oil filter cover, position screw along inside edge of hole, and gently pull upwards with steady force, and the cap will pop right off!.
    here is a pic of what I use!...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 02-25-2007 at 11:56 AM.

thats a damn god idea ill keep that in mind

+1
    all i do to change mine is put some 2mm transparent micra bore pipe down the dipstick hole, enough to reach the floor, then suck till oil is 2inches from my mouth, then put pipe in bucket or can till next day, it just syphons overnight do it often and no tools needed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information