Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

If you were going to get a Helmet...

If you were going to get a helmet, which and How do you choose the right one to get, and where?
    I see alot of MX helmets out there, but isn`t there ones specifically for wet conditions?...PR...

preferably any helmet with a removeable liner. That way you can dry it out easier. Also an MX style helmet with a removeable visor to prevent bucketing.

+1
    The best helmet that I have found for watersports is the Gath. It is made in Australia and constructed of water proof materials. It fits the head closely and is not subject to "bucketing" or filling with water and snapping the wearers neck as often happens in high speed water accidents. Everyone from big wave surfers, water skiers, snow boarders, snowmobile riders and PWC users can use this helmet. The model I use has a smoke tinted retractable visor that can be used open or closed. When open it provides a small brim on the helmet. It has air vents and ear vents. It weighs next to nothing and provides cold protection for those unlucky enough to have to put up with winter I recommend it highly. It's a miracle that no one has snapped their neck in closed course competition by wearing the heavy and bulky motor cycle helmets they require. Check the helmet out at www.gathsports.com

Richard

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    I have a Shoei V-MOTO and love it.

allcool

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    The best helmet that I have found for watersports is the Gath. It is made in Australia and constructed of water proof materials. It fits the head closely and is not subject to "bucketing" or filling with water and snapping the wearers neck as often happens in high speed water accidents. Everyone from big wave surfers, water skiers, snow boarders, snowmobile riders and PWC users can use this helmet. The model I use has a smoke tinted retractable visor that can be used open or closed. When open it provides a small brim on the helmet. It has air vents and ear vents. It weighs next to nothing and provides cold protection for those unlucky enough to have to put up with winter I recommend it highly. It's a miracle that no one has snapped their neck in closed course competition by wearing the heavy and bulky motor cycle helmets they require. Check the helmet out at www.gathsports.com

Richard
    Aren't Garth open open face helmets? No chin protection.
    Watch out for Handlebar in the face syndrome!

allcool
    Last edited by allcool; 10-29-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Prohibido usuario
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post

Richard
    Thanks, Richard, I sent you pm before I read this post, thanks bro!...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by allcool View Post
    Aren't Garth open open face helmets? No chin protection.
    Watch out for Handlebar in the face syndrome!

allcool
    They have an open face unless the visor is pulled down. Then it looks like a fighter pilot helmet. I'd much rather take a chance on bumping a padded handlebar than snapping my neck when hitting the water because of a helmet that is 2x the size of my head, fits loosely around the face and neck and has a chin protector....also called a "water scoop verbrate breaker" !! Those helmets are fine for riding a land vehicle, but just don't make the grade for protection on the water.

Richard

+1
    It's a miracle that no one has snapped their neck in closed course competition by wearing the heavy and bulky motor cycle helmets they require.
    IMHO,
    For the rec rider, I feel the statement is more true. I like the idea of the Gath, and will have one for this winter. The real danger on a race course isn't bucketting. It's collosion with hard objects. There have been plenty of neck and head injuries, possibly due to helmet design, but it's still safer to have a chin gaurd while in close contact with such fast hard objects.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    If you were going to get a helmet, which and How do you choose the right one to get, and where?
    I see alot of MX helmets out there, but isn`t there ones specifically for wet conditions?...PR...
    First and foremost you go to a store that specifically sells helmets, such as "Helmet Harbor" and get advice from the guys working there. Most are street motorcycle riders, and can give good advice on how to size a helmet. Not all helmets are shaped the same. You routinely hear the term "Arai Head, or Shoei Head" in motorcycle circles. That refers to a comfort factor of the wearer. What may be the most comfortable helmet ever made for ME, will pinch the living hell out of YOU. It's a very, very personal choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information