Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Where do these bolts go?

Concerning my 2001 GP1200R:
    Thought I finished my first, easy, "still-in-the-hull" partial rebuild but have four 10mm bolts left over, two 55mm long & two 130mm long. Ski was completely assembled when I got it so I know I took them out. Took off muffler and shroud, then head (leaving bolts in). Replaced rear cylinder and piston (with used) and re-assembled. Looked through service manual & can't find any 130mm long bolts listed for exhaust. Found two 155's down at the bottom bracket but have those in. The 155's I have left over have a smaller head (12mm) vs. most of the other 10mm's which have 14mm head. These 12mm heads may go on aforementioned bottom bracket but in any case I have two 155's left over. I can't believe I can't find a place for the 130's, those are long suckers! Can anybody help me out?

+1
    Pipe to manifold?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP1200R.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	217921  

+1
    Was a little relieved when I saw those in the manual but they are still in place.
    Thanks for the help, though.

show me a pic of the bolts and i will tell you where it goes

+1
    if the bolts are 10 mm and the heads are 12mm it sounds like the bolts that hold the stinger to the sides of the two rear cylinders they have a 12mm head so its easer to get to them. you may have gotten them mixed up with the 2 at the rear of the stinger bracket.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    if the bolts are 10 mm and the heads are 12mm it sounds like the bolts that hold the stinger to the sides of the two rear cylinders they have a 12mm head so its easer to get to them. you may have gotten them mixed up with the 2 at the rear of the stinger bracket.
    +1

Look down in between the head and stinger pipe.

Let me add that these two bolts are amoung the first to be torqued down to get the stinger to line up all of the other bolts properly. If not torqued to specs and perhaps a little tighter, then it opens the door for many bolts to loosen up, creating a potential for high engine vibration and cracking the head cover.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0320.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	218176

Pictured only one of each 10mm bolt, have matching pair of all three styles.
    Had the top pictured bolts in the "muffler stay" connecting it down to cylinders. Mudslanger suggested that the small-headed bolts (middle in pic) go there. Interestingly, I placed the two 130's and the two 14mm head 55's in question on the opposite side of the ski when I was breaking down. Would make me think those were the first bolts to come out. Thanks again for any help.

top is exhaust manifold into cylinder
    2nd is rear pipe bracket into the boss on the side of the cylinder
    bottom is the exhaust manifold into the cylinder ,same as #1 and you may have to install that bolt before the manifold goes on

+1
    Didn't remove exhaust chamber from manifold, all bolts in place.
    The rear pipe bracket you speak of (which, I think, is muffler stay #2, in service manual) is bolted on with one bolt to the crankcase, second was missing when I got it.
    Is there any type of cross-reference where you can enter bolt size and it will list all locations that use that bolt?
    Thanks for the help.
    I'll keep searching.

+1
    the person who owned the ski prior to you hay have dropped a bolt and just left it under the motor. did you pick up any of those bolts laying in the hull. i would check all the exaust manifold to head bolts there are 12 all together 4 long 6 short 2 stud & nut the 2 on the bottom middle cylinder are a little hard to reach. the middle bolt in the picture looks like the stinger bracket to cylinder take a 12 mm socket and see if it fits on the two bolts that hold the stinger to the cylinders you will need a long ext. you need to feel around the exaust pipe to see if you have a missing bolts. i would check all cylinder to case bolts. there are only a few places the long bolt can come from one place is the case i dont think they can get out with motor in the other places is the head bolts,exaust pipe,manifold,converter, there is another place they used a 12mm head bolt it holds the front air box on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information