Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Ultra 260 Stuck spark plug question

I have only had 2 Ultra 260's come to my shop this year because we mainly deal with seadoo polaris and yamaha. One was an 09 260x and the other 2010 260lx. The first one had 3 stuck plugs and one of them broke. the second one has one stuck plug that I dont want to break. Is this a known problem? I find it odd that I only worked on 2 of them and they both have stuck spark plugs

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    I have only had 2 Ultra 260's come to my shop this year because we mainly deal with seadoo polaris and yamaha. One was an 09 260x and the other 2010 260lx. The first one had 3 stuck plugs and one of them broke. the second one has one stuck plug that I dont want to break. Is this a known problem? I find it odd that I only worked on 2 of them and they both have stuck spark plugs
    when people refuse to lube the threads with a Anti-sieze compund it is bound to happen

it is a maintance issue not a product issue as I am sure you will already know being a mechanic

I have had to remove to broken plugs from people ski this year..........That god for heli-coils and compressed air
    try soaking over night before you get serious with undoing them , may improve chances of not breaking them

Waz

+1 My 08 Ultra 250 X had a stuck plug #4 and had to be removed by taking the head off. 50 hrs later they replaced the head. Correct me if I'm wrong but the manual says nothing about anti seize. However it does say that we are suppose to remove the plugs every 25 hrs. and replace if necessary. I know remove my plugs every 25 hrs and put anti seize on them. No problem any more

+1
    I know its maintenance and I had to take the head off a yami this year because a plug broke off. Im talking about a 2010 here. how often are you supposed to change the plugs to keep it from getting stuck? every week? I will put anti seize on them when I put them back in but for them to come from kawasaki with nothing on them and then they get suck the same year they are purchased seems like a product defect to me

+1
    Section 2-30 of spark plug inspection Service manual

"Lubrication
    As in all marine craft, adequate lubrication and corrosion
    protection is an absolute necessity to provide long, reliable
    service. Refer to the Periodic Maintenance Chart for the
    frequency of the following items:"
    its in Black and white

its not the plug or the heads fault. !!! its the stupid clowns putting them in .So its not a production fault as such more of a procedural failure........

Be it at the assembly line of at the so called mechanics that attempt to work on these skiies........

When they have anti seize and the plug boots greased to stop water entering the plug hole you can then maintain a OEM service schedule,

yes we are in the year 2010 and people are still asking why are they breaking off, and the simple facts are no lube no hope !!!

if its a ski under warranty and they are being replaced then take it to a authorized dealer for them to make a warranty judgment call.

Waz

+1
    the 09 I took to kawasaki at the beginning of the season, they basically told the customer they are beat. Id expect this after 2 years of not changing the plug but this is ridicules

+1
    the 09 I took to kawasaki at the beginning of the season, they basically told the customer they are beat. Id expect this after 2 years of not changing the plug but this is ridicules
    How many hrs on the skiies in Question ?

Waz

+1
    I know its maintenance and I had to take the head off a yami this year because a plug broke off. Im talking about a 2010 here. how often are you supposed to change the plugs to keep it from getting stuck? every week? I will put anti seize on them when I put them back in but for them to come from kawasaki with nothing on them and then they get suck the same year they are purchased seems like a product defect to me
    We anti sieze them at pre delivery. Down here in Oz, every competent mechanic does this, regardless of brand.

it is a maintance issue not a product issue
    It's both a maintenance and design issue for Kawasaki as Seadoos and others don't have the issue to that extent. Kawasaki have alot of maintenance issues others don't, like pump bearings etc. It's basically the POS of the PWC musclecraft world, good thing the standard for POS is much better these days. So you deal with these things and the sucker has a better chance not to blow, seize or snap. It is best to lube the high tension cables ends too with thick silicone grease so salt water spray will be less inclined to enter the cavity. The spark plugs by design are tiny compared to others so are more prone to shear when over torqued or seized. You also have the issue of corrosion at the thin root of the threads where the sealing area is. Being a POS it needs a torque wrench every plug servicing where others do fine with hand tightening feel.

My 15F is fine but it runs much cooler than the blown version and gets lots of extra care as by design it has no anodes.

Google this and google that, then come back to flame me.

snapped off kawasaki spark plug

snapped off seadoo spark plug

rt

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    It's both a maintenance and design issue for Kawasaki as Seadoos and others don't have the issue to that extent. Kawasaki have alot of maintenance issues others don't, like pump bearings etc. It's basically the POS of the PWC musclecraft world, good thing the standard for POS is much better these days. So you deal with these things and the sucker has a better chance not to blow, seize or snap. It is best to lube the high tension cables ends too with thick silicone grease so salt water spray will be less inclined to enter the cavity. The spark plugs by design are tiny compared to others so are more prone to shear when over torqued or seized. You also have the issue of corrosion at the thin root of the threads where the sealing area is. Being a POS it needs a torque wrench every plug servicing where others do fine with hand tightening feel.

My 15F is fine but it runs much cooler than the blown version and gets lots of extra care as by design it has no anodes.

Google this and google that, then come back to flame me.

snapped off kawasaki spark plug

snapped off seadoo spark plug

rt
    I currently work at a kawi dealership, had a long award winning seadoo tech experience and have built championship yammys as well.

Either back off on the crack pipe or get your data before you shoot your mouth off.

Bad maintainence can lead to broken plugs.

NOT HARD TO PREVENT.

see above.

(let you on in a secret, google is not a direct line to the gods of the internal combustion engine)

I have no idea what USA dealers are doing but it has been addressed down under across all makes. Nickel based antisieze on plug threads on PD.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information