+1

Melted Exhaust Tube

Well Enforcer and I went out for a ride today and after about 2 hours of riding smoke started pouring out of my ski so I instantly killed it and pushed it to the shore... towed it back to the ramp and found out I had melted the exhaust pipe in the back... I guess I need to check out the Jetworks to find out WTF happened! Any suggestions?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    ... towed it back to the ramp and found out I had melted the exhaust pipe in the back... I guess I need to check out the Jetworks to find out WTF happened! Any suggestions?
    It sounds like you are on the mark about checking the JW valve. That water coming out of the stinger and into your exhaust is what is used to cool the exhaust gasses so they do not melt the rubber connections. If the JW valve fails such a way that water cannot enter the exhaust pipe, then things start to melt when you get into the higher rpm ranges (presumeably over 3500 rpm).

Disconnect the JW valve between the stinger and valve. Plug the line on the stinger side and leave the line open on the JW outlet. Put your boat back into the water (while on the trailer) and increase the rpms until the JW valve opens. If it for some reason does not open at 3000-3500 rpms then you need to readadjust the valve. This water is an absolute must for cooling your exhaust system

+1
    particles have been known to get past the pump strainer then into the braided line and into the JW valve clogging it..like Salty said run the ski on the trailer..do attach a temporary hose on the otherside of the JW valve and just let it hang outside...feather the throttle around the 3000rpms... if water doesn't come out steady then a clog or the spring/ball mechanism is somehow bad...better to replace...you have the blue I assume..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00791.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	218017

+1
    Also check the hose clamp from the pump block strainer to the transom fitting where the jetworks is getting its supply. I've seen that hose slip off the fitting before fromnot being tight enough and when the hose comes off, water will not be supplied to the jetworks. I've seen this happen when the pump is removed and reinstalled, this hose can get overlooked upon reassembly to retighten.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    Also check the hose clamp from the pump block strainer to the transom fitting where the jetworks is getting its supply. I've seen that hose slip off the fitting before fromnot being tight enough and when the hose comes off, water will not be supplied to the jetworks. I've seen this happen when the pump is removed and reinstalled, this hose can get overlooked upon reassembly to retighten.
    Ding Ding Ding!!! Billie is the winner! I guess when I put the boat prop on this week I didnt have that clamp tight enough and it finally blew off. Patron margarita for you on me bro next time we hook up!

+1
    yeah thats one of those things you gotta ck before going out...in fact all clamps to connections that are visible..a 5 min inspection is worth a million...thats also why its good when your under the battery box to double clamp the exhaust connections...nobody routinely cks back under there until its too late...been out with two boats that had connection problems there ...GL

Thread Information