+1

04 Yamaha Cruiser FX HO Salt Water Use Wear

Hi Guys,

I have a question. Many of you guys have experience with both salt water and lake water! I am mainly a salt water guy! I flush the engine with salt terminator for exactly 4 minutes right after I get her out of the water. Then wash the whole thing and when I get home WD40 and silicone spray the darn thing all over!

Now my questions are how much more I still wear my ski compared to lake water users?! What components mostly will wear out faster and what other maintenance can I do to protect her?

Also I have a friend who rides with me, his is Seadoo, he said he actually went to buy a Yamaha but the dealer told him if he is going to use it in the sea, Seadoo lasts longer and sold him a seadoo rather than a Yamaha! Can you guys tell me why that is? I know seadoo is closed loop water system but many boats or most of them have open loop water cooling system so is that the only reason dealer told him that?! Please give me as much info as you can.

Best,
    Reza

+1
    yami's are made to handle salt water so don't need a heat exchanger
    maintanance is the key to surviving salt water and by what you say
    you have that part covered
    the salt air and spray in the engine compartment will cause the most problems not the salt running through the motor

kev

+1
    Kev,

I don't open the engine compartment and spray into intake often, is that something I need to do like foggin after every time of use?

Thanks

+1
    I'll fog if ski won't be used for a week or more.....never had a problem with fouled plugs. Spray fogging oil down each intake for three secs, replace airbox lid, then run at idle for 10-15 secs. Also whilst the air filter is out, spray the cam cover & bolts with corrsion protector........salt deposits can sit there & corrode the bolt heads.

+1
    Dave,

My yamaha dealer does not have the yamalube fogging oil! They have polaris, are they the same? can I use that instead?

Also do you think using WD-40 on those bolts and cams won't be good? Do I need to buy a special spray?

+1
    Any good fogging oil will be fine. I use starbrite fogging or quicksilver storage oil.

Some don't like to use WD.....it is not good on the rubber hoses apparently. I have always used GT 85, but there are many others out there......fluid film ,CRC 56etc.

Edit.....just re read your post, just to be clear...it is just the outside of the cam cover you need to spray & the bolt heads.......you don't need to dissasemble anything.

Thread Information