+1

need some help with job/career ideas

im 25 and for the last 5 years i have worked in a warehouse. im being laid off from work and now i need to find a new job. I have a two year degree in criminal justice and for the life of me i cant find a job where im making any where near what i was making at my current job. Im just curious on some job ideas you guys have.

+1
    Well, no ideas for the immediate future, but if you want to invest a couple of more years in school, you can get a degree in registered nursing. Dollar for dollar, you can't make more money with a 2 year degree, and it's nothing like the job most people think it is. I've worked Trauma ER and ICU, and it's more exciting than my days in the army most of the time. It's mostly fun, never the same day twice, and depending on where you work, there are lots of young, intelligent, good looking women all around you. There are a lot of Gaylord jokes out there, but no one who actually works in heathcare pays attention to all that. I've been a nurse for 17 years; for the past 6 years I've been working as a travel nurse, getting paid to work all over the nation. I've worked all over Florida, in Charleston SC, Vegas, and other places over the years. I just spent 3 years in Miami working week on/week off, while someone else paid for my apartment. A couple of years ago I worked 3-4 days a week and made 6 figures. Can't beat that.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I cant top Smitty but if your looking into stability you can try you hand at the Agriculture sector. over the past 3 years during all this market volatility I have gotten all my raises and bonuses. My company has even been adding about 10 jobs per location this year alone. you can start here... www.agcareers.com ....people gotta eat ya know.

+1
    I would be looking for a job that has anything to do with going Greener
    That is the future for all countries.

+1
    i have a aunt and a friend who is a nurse both make great money. its just not something i think i could do. i cant even watch some of the stuff on tv where people are all mangled up from a car crash and stuff.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    + 1000 on health care...that IS the growth industry for the next 50 years. RN's can pretty much write their own ticket. Not for everybody however, but if you are concerned about your financial future, you'd be a fool to ignore this fantastic opportunity

+1
    Stingray, I had no idea you were that young.
    It's a tough job market right now; don't get discouraged. Might be a good idea to be back in college right now until the crap blows over. Criminal justice seems like a good field; we're always going to have crooks! I think it would be personally satisfying as well.

Also; I was picking up a new pair of prescription sunglasses recently and talking with the optician at the Visionworks store; he was telling me the optician school is pretty cheap and he got the license pretty fast (this may vary state to state) and he's turning some nice numbers for a low-stress job. People are always going to need glasses, a lot of them don't want surgery or contacts.

Thread Information