Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Engine in Pieces, What to do?

So I inherited a few project MSX's from a friend of mine who has owned them since new. I will post seperately about them to keep the confusion down. This is Project 2 as in, the other should be a quicker fix. Four years ago he was having some problems and took it to a dealer who disassembled the entire engine and told him it needed a rebuild due to cylinder flaking. I believe this was a buzz word for the MSX's in 2006 and think the dealer latched onto that instead of really figuring our what the problem was. So here are some pictures, everything seems to be there, not necessarily the easiest puzzle for me to figure out but I am a little familiar with rebuilding engines and have some experience with air cooled VW engines. The BIG question: Do I put it back together and see if it has any problems hoping to get lucky or do I just rebuild it proper with new Pistons, rings, cam, crank etc.? Where to start?????????
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06879.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	218114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06872.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	218115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06875.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	218116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06880.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	218117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06877.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	218118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06876.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	218119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06871.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	218120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06881.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	218121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06878.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	218122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06873.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	218123
    So just some pictures of the cylinders and bins of parts so you have an idea what I am up against. Any suggestions on where to start are appreciated!!!

I dont see anything wrong with those cylinders. You can even see the cross hatch in them. I would assume that the piston rings are good also since there is no scoring on the cylinder walls. What kind of problems was your friend having with this motor? There could be things wrong but from the pictures you posted those parts look just fine to me. I would check everything to include the crank, rod bearings etc, see if you can find a problem area. If not, I would assemble it and see what kind of comrpession reading you get. Somehow, I dont think the machanics of the motor was the issue.... Just IMO....

Thanks Jack!! That was my theory as well. The ski would run for a while and would be fine until you stopped it. It would not run well until it cooled down for a few hours. When you started to go and pull water through it would quit. Of course this is all second hand and four year old information even for him. I will post some pics of the crank and cam tomorow if I can. From my initial inspections of everything, it all seemed to have just normal wear. Should I put new rings on anyways, they have been bounced around from place to place in that bin? Pretty sure all the bearings I have are not marked so getting them back in the same spot would be luck. Don't know if that is a must or not.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are there ANY signs of the cylinder wall Nicasil plating flaking off?

Is this an MSX 150 or MSX 110?

You do need to take care putting that engine back together. Precision is critical. Replace any parts that you even suspect are no longer pristine.

Are there ANY signs of the cylinder wall Nicasil plating flaking off?
    Not that I can see K447. I have given a pretty thorough inspection with my eye. MSX 150

Here are some pics of the Crank and countershaft. Only weird mark is on the counter shaft but it looks like normal wear or factory. Anyone know if someone makes a rebuild kit that has all the o-rings and seals or am I going to have to check our desparado's store and just order anything that says o-ring or seal off of the exploded views of the engine. Is it bad to replace just the piston rings and not the pistons? Would it be worth shipping the cylinder case to a professional to have them inspect it or dip and dye it whatever they do to check for anything abnormal?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06884.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	218357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06885.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	218358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06883.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	218359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06886.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	218360

You can get an idea of the bore condition by using one of the rings, just install it in the top of the cylinder, use the skirt of the piston to slide it about a 1/2" from the top and measure the end gap with a feeler guage, then use the piston skirt again to push the ring down into the middle of the bore, and measure ring gap again, then install the ring in the bottom of the bore and use the skirt to push it up about a 1/2" up and measure it again. This will give you an idea if there is excess wear in the bores.

How many hrs are on this machine? Looks like there is a little wear in the transfer area.

I would send it to watcon for inspection, repair, and reassembly. Just my opinion.

The part that you mentioned on the counter shaft is not an issue. That is where is was likely ground out at the factory to balance it. Regardless, that it not a contact area so unless it was broke off it wouldnt matter. As for the remainder of your picks, from what I can see it looks good. The only thing that caught my eye was the gear on the on the counter shaft. Someone will have to weight in on weather that looks like it got hot because its blue as a tail pipe tip. As for the cylinders, I cant see there being any significant wear there since you can see the hatch in the walls. However, depending on your mechanical ability, I would consider what thester said and maybe send it out to be assembled and inspected. If that was my engine in my shop, it would be going back together from what I can see in the pictures unless I found something that looked bad.

To me that crosshatch looks like someone did a quick hone on the cylinders after it was disassembled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information