Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face ALLWAYS top it off

Well yesterday I learned the hard way to NEVER trust your oil level gauge and to always just top it off. I did get lucky and it was a VERY soft seizing. I pulled the heads and dumped some oil down each one and she turned right over, fired right back up. I still have good compression in all three cylinders. I don't think there is any permanent damage. Could there be?

I know, I know, you vets out there are all saying..... duhhh... well, live and learn. So, I am just passing on my lesson to those who might not think about it either.

Good riding guys......

+1
    You actually pulled the heads, or the plugs?

I guess I only pulled off the domes so that I could check the condition of the cyclinder walls and pistons. I could have gotten away with just doing the plugs and putting oil in that way but I wanted to check for some damage.

If you did not loose any rpm's your probably OK!

And I never check my oil level!

+1
    That's good that you pulled the domes. I was just clarifying for sure.

How did the cylinder walls look? And as far as the pistons go, you can only see the tops and top edges, not the sides.

I can't imagine that you ran it low enough to stick it and not do some damage the pistons, and possibly more.

I've seen good numbers on compression gauges before while the pistons look like the were scratched by a bears claw. Not trying to be Mr. Doom & Gloom, but the gauge doesn't always tell the whole story.

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya.

Thanks Z, it is just my dumb luck.. this must be part of the reason my nick name is Murphy.......

I didn't lose any RPM's and was going pretty slow when it shut down, just cruising around. I guess we will see how it goes. Once I pulled the plugs/domes the motor would turn over, slowly but it did it. Put on the oil and all took a few rotations but then started turning normal.

No metal on the plugs, no scratch's on the cylinder walls or broken piston parts... I think I may have gotten just a little luck with this one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRatt View Post
    Once I pulled the plugs/domes the motor would turn over, slowly but it did it. Put on the oil and all took a few rotations but then started turning normal.
    I hear ya, and I'm hoping you got lucky too, but the above really scares me...

Yeah, I know what you mean, I don't much like it either. I just got done pulling the intake manifold (it is the easier of the two) so that I can get a look/feel of a little bit of the pistons and what I could see/feel was in good condition.

She is all back to gether now and running, I will take it out next weekend and give her a run. I think I may put a little bit of oil in the fuel just to give it some extr lube, she is still running on the lean side anyways.

We shall see. I will let you know how it goes next weekend. I may try Wednesday afternoon but I think with the time change that it may get dark to early now... the sun sets at 4:30ish now...

Later.

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRatt View Post
    going pretty slow when it shut down, just cruising around.
    Once I pulled the plugs/domes the motor would turn over, slowly but it did it
    There is no way to say this nice, sorry for the bad news but, once a 2-stroke seizes up when under power, even if it starts back up and seems to run 'fine', it is only a matter of time till it looses performance and or stops altogether... for good.

If it actually seized from oil tank running dry, don't run it. You also say it only turned over slow after you oiled it, make no mistake about it...it is f*cked up, even if it runs ‘fine’ now. Don't run it like this.

The pistons aren't the only things that need oil. How do you think the crank bearings like running dry???

Why chance putting a rod thru the cases.

Pull it apart check everything repair and replace as needed.
    Save yourself some money and a tow in, be smart do it now.

Don't think you might get away with a less expensive rebuild if you run it like it is now waiting for it to stop and not start up. It won't happen.
    More damage = more money

Sadly I speak from experience.

allcool
    y.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information