Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

How many have lost engines due to the higher RPM limit in the reflashes or ecus?

This year I have seen various FZR/SHO mess up the valves due to the higher revving of the reflashes. I have been told that the stock engine is safe up to 8550-8600 (pitching the prop for it) , but if you ever come unhook at wot you are hitting the rev limiter (8850-8950 reflashes, custom ecus).

One of them only took one time of coming unhook for 2 valves to get messed up. On the other hand I have seen a FZR with Riva springs run all year with a 9200 soft 9400 hard rpm limiter running a Vipec.

So bottom line is that in order to run a reflash safely you need springs or you will be saying bye bye to that engine pretty soon. The bad part is that installing the spring is a mission on the sho engines, wished it was like the 4TECs.

+1
    heard of a few and sure there are many out there hope you get some contributing to the post with their experience

+1
    figured none would fess up

SHO Off did, but you won't find him helping out here.

+1

gprxp done bring it

Quote Originally Posted by 556SBR View Post
    This year I have seen various FZR/SHO mess up the valves due to the higher revving of the reflashes. I have been told that the stock engine is safe up to 8550-8600 (pitching the prop for it) , but if you ever come unhook at wot you are hitting the rev limiter (8850-8950 reflashes, custom ecus).

One of them only took one time of coming unhook for 2 valves to get messed up. On the other hand I have seen a FZR with Riva springs run all year with a 9200 soft 9400 hard rpm limiter running a Vipec.

So bottom line is that in order to run a reflash safely you need springs or you will be saying bye bye to that engine pretty soon. The bad part is that installing the spring is a mission on the sho engines, wished it was like the 4TECs.
    Riva already made a tool to replace the springs without taking out the head.I already use this tool in a couple of skis and is not hard it just takes time and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by papafever View Post
    Riva already made a tool to replace the springs without taking out the head.I already use this tool in a couple of skis and is not hard it just takes time and patience.
    If all it takes is time and patience, I have fully exceeded that multiple times.

+1
    How would one attribute an engine failure to ONLY a higher RPM limit?

Also, I have lots of log files of me coming unhooked and my RPMs never spike above about 8700. This is with a reflashed ECU.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post

Also, I have lots of log files of me coming unhooked and my RPMs never spike above about 8700. This is with a reflashed ECU.
    What RPMs are you running with your prop?

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post

At some max rpm the valve springs do not have enough force to return the valve to the seat, they flutter or float, that is when the pistons hit them. In other words the mass of the valve overpowers the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    At some max rpm the valve springs do not have enough force to return the valve to the seat, they flutter or float, that is when the pistons hit them. In other words the mass of the valve overpowers the spring.
    I think that was actually his point. RPM doesn't in itself do it. The valves train does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information