easiest way to do ppk, plate, grate, reinforce,brackets, driveshaft hose

i plan on this winter installing the things in the title

-ppk from riva
    -R&D grate
    -R&D plate
    -4-tec reinforcement
    -04+ ride plate and shoe brackets
    -reinforced driveshaft hose

i know its beaten do death, but is the best way to do it all at once? should i pull the pump out, and do it all at the same time, or does keeping the stock ride plate on help me have something to line the shoe up with, ect, or any other little tips i need on getting this done. the hose has to be done with the drive shaft out right? then you slid it back in after the new hose is on?

ill be doing the above things, all im gonna need other than that is acetone to clean, something to grind the yamaha green goop off, 5200fc for the reinforce, 4200fc for the shoe, and thats it? i have basic hand tools, torque wrench, dremel, drill, ect.

when doing my motor i came across allot of things i didnt own that i had to get mid project, and im trying to cut down on that.

i know the tunnels gotta be ground down some, can a dremel do that or do i need to have air and a grinder?

ive seen people use the 04+ shoe brackets, but they cut part off. is that necessary? im not sure i have anything i can cut that with. how much has to be taken off?

those are the only brackets i need right, shoe and ride plate. i know the plate brackets arent needed but id like to do them. are there updated intake grate brackets?

is it really nessicary to drill out the holes and retap the grate holes to a bigger size?

i know you guys dont feel like explaining all this but for someone who hasnt done this before its nerve racking.

any tips i can get is a great help, i plan on using osidebills reinforce how to, cajundudes shoe removal how to, ect.

thanks guys you are great.

+1
    do the ppk, reinforcement, brackets, and driveshaft hose at the same time that way you only have to remove the pump once. an air compressor with a angle grider fitted with a circle sander will come in handy if you can get your hands on one. as far as the brackets go...several people on this board make updated brackets. i wouldn't recommend cuttin part of the shoe bracket but thats just me. do it right the first time. i haven't updated my grate bracket yet but i will in the future.

installing the premade fiberglass tunnel reinforcement is pretty easy. just make sure you test fit it several time before applying the 5200. when you put it on it will "snap" into place. and make sure there are no air bubbles underneath the reinforcement when you apply the 5200. having 2 people will make it easier to do. when i did mine i followed osidebills instructions too and it came out perfect.

+1
    Good so I wont have to cut the shoe brackets?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    I wasn't able to get the oem brackets anymore. Where can you get them? Plan on doing the same stuff as well...R&D plate and grate, Renforcement, Ride plate and intake grate brakets, gonna keep the 03 pump for now and run a 13/19, dplat and chip, and then tuning when all is good.

+1
    The brackets have to be trimmed to fit the added width of the tunnel reinforcement. Grind them, file them, sand them, machine them, what ever method you have available they will need to be trimmed. Or buy a set of Island racing pump shoe brackets they bolt right on.

ah the adhesive/epoxy debate

I`m a big fan of marine TEX, not 5200 for a pre maid tunnel reinforcment. 5200 is a sealant/adhesive and will still flex. althoiugh some say a bit of flexng is ok in that area, I say not... marine tex cures hard and rigid and creates the bond as if it were all one piece...
    any 5200 will take a long time to cure bc the surface area applied to is very large and it is essentially no different than if it were still in the tube.
    Marine tex is 2 part and a chemical reaction to cure. much faster bonding time and way stronger...JMO

5 spd, there are several builds on here with all this tech info and pictures, all`s you have to do is look...

there are also other methods to do the pump sealing...

+1
    yeah i know ive been searching im just making sure i got everything needed, and that im correct in assuming that i should pull all this stuff off and do it all at once. i didnt know if it was a good idea to leave the ride plate or something installed for reference. ill look into marine tex.

so if i dont want to cut brackets go with IR shoe brackets and 04+ ride plate and grate brackets?

are the grate brackets nessicary? I still dont understand them.

+1
    Do what was just advised..get the Marine Tex, do it all at once. Follow the sticky's on procedures and get the IR brackets. Follow the instructions thoroughly and you should not have a problem. A 15 year old boy did this 2 years ago by himself..you can do this. Give everything 24 hours cure time before riding, after completion.

Thread Information