Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Signs that clutch is about to go out?

After doing some very abusive closed course practice, I noticed that my supercharger wasn't spinning for 10 to 15 seconds after I killed the motor like it normally does. The supercharger wheel now stops with the engine. Could this be a clue to clutch failure? It still pulled hard, but maybe it is starting to go out? I have a full stage III riva fzr. Let me know what you think. Also, since the clutch is not completely out yet, do I need the whole thing or just some parts? Hopefully the older clutch is still avail, as I am not sold on the 2011 clutch yet.

I'm in the same boat as you...I think my clutch is about to go and I don't like what i'm hearing about the 2011 clutch but the old clutches are no longer available I even contacted Riva and they said yamaha took all the old clutches that they had left back from them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    After doing some very abusive closed course practice, I noticed that my supercharger wasn't spinning for 10 to 15 seconds after I killed the motor like it normally does. The supercharger wheel now stops with the engine. Could this be a clue to clutch failure? It still pulled hard, but maybe it is starting to go out? I have a full stage III riva fzr. Let me know what you think. Also, since the clutch is not completely out yet, do I need the whole thing or just some parts? Hopefully the older clutch is still avail, as I am not sold on the 2011 clutch yet.
    I'm not sure if Jerry has but probably does but when I called RIVA last week they still had in stock.

+1
    What's wrong with the 2011 clutch...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    I'd pull the power filter off and see if there is any play in the SC. It should only move clockwise and should have almost no counterclockwise play.

I would say it could be 2 things:

1. SC Bearing is going out

2. Clutch is fixing to go.

Not sure but we will find out this weekend when we pull it down.

How ever, here is a question that has not been awnsered.

1. When replacing the clutch, do we need to buy the clutch only? a $60.00 part..

[QUOTE=coby45;1576714]I would say it could be 2 things:

1. SC Bearing is going out

2. Clutch is fixing to go.

Not sure but we will find out this weekend when we pull it down.

How ever, here is a question that has not been awnsered.

1. When replacing the clutch, do we need to buy the clutch only? a $60.00 part..[/QUOTE]

Well, to go to the new clutch (the only one available now as we were told) you have to replace everything at least the first time.
    After that it is recommended to replace everything if it fails again, but I have to say if it blows even every 30-50 hours that's $450 each time possibly 2-5 times a year. And that is not going to fly.
    Who knows, we are being told to replace all kinds of things and some of it is plainly not required each and everytime. I wonder why they would tell us to always replace something? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by yami_rida#26 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you...I think my clutch is about to go and I don't like what i'm hearing about the 2011 clutch but the old clutches are no longer available I even contacted Riva and they said yamaha took all the old clutches that they had left back from them.
    You can still buy the original sprag bearing only and replace it. Only 65.00. Easy to do. Just bought one last week.
    Take your original clutch assy apart, remove the snap ring and pop it apart, then check the inner and outer races for damage. If they are damage free as mine were, replace the sprag bearing and your done..
    Hopefully my 2011 failure was just a fluke. Time will tell..

Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    You can still buy the original sprag bearing only and replace it. Only 65.00. Easy to do. Just bought one last week.
    Take your original clutch assy apart, remove the snap ring and pop it apart, then check the inner and outer races for damage. If they are damage free as mine were, replace the sprag bearing and your done..
    Hopefully my 2011 failure was just a fluke. Time will tell..
    Last edited by yami_rida#26; 10-18-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Nevermind

Yes, from Yamaha. Go to their parts book and its easy to find.
    The complete 450.00 sprag unit is an assembly with an inner and outer hub. The sprag bearing fits between them just like any regular bearing would, except the sprag locks in one direction and rolls free the other. If the inner and outer races are ok, which you wont know untill you take it apart and inspect it, you can replace the 65.00 sprag bearing only and be like new.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information