can I have a fast 800?

I was just wonder what if anything I can do to get some extra speed out of my 2004 800xlt. I have the motor pulled and apart right now. I already need a cylinder replating and new pistons, are there any tricks I can do now or do I just rebuild to stock specs and settle for what I have? Am I stuck in the mid 50's (mph)?

Thanks

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyhookrider View Post
    I was just wonder what if anything I can do to get some extra speed out of my 2004 800xlt. I have the motor pulled and apart right now. I already need a cylinder replating and new pistons, are there any tricks I can do now or do I just rebuild to stock specs and settle for what I have? Am I stuck in the mid 50's (mph)?

Thanks
    You will spend a lot of money to get a 800 xlt to go fast and it still will not be that fast because of the size and weight of ski, the best speed for the money is a modded ride plate.

Sadly for us 800 folks there in not a good speed to price ratio. You can spend thousands and get 3 mph faster if your lucky. All I have planned for my 800 is a riva long plate to reduce porpoising.

I have heard of replacing the 800 cylinders with cylinders from a 1300, this will yield approx 66 more CC`s... not sure exactly what`s involved, but just recently heard this... a little more umph...

Believe it or not Andy the 800 cylinder puts out more power due to the extreme porting.

Take it from me I went down this road and spent MANY thousands and the absolute best we got was just around 60 and I think we only saw that number once...
    The best you can do for your boat is the basics. The boat stock is only 48 may be 50 the speedometer is not accurate. The XLT 1200 does mid 50's.
    So intake grate
    ride plate/modded if you have the money. Either Island Racing or Jims performance
    pump plug kit
    save your money and just ride it. I spent $8000 on mine and only got an 11-14mph increase. I bought all the top parts and had the top builders working with me. It aint worth it!!!! I was lucky and sold everything and just broke even on my investment. Now im looking for a four stroke to drop into it.

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Believe it or not Andy the 800 cylinder puts out more power due to the extreme porting.

Take it from me I went down this road and spent MANY thousands and the absolute best we got was just around 60 and I think we only saw that number once...
    The best you can do for your boat is the basics. The boat stock is only 48 may be 50 the speedometer is not accurate. The XLT 1200 does mid 50's.
    So intake grate
    ride plate/modded if you have the money. Either Island Racing or Jims performance
    pump plug kit
    save your money and just ride it. I spent $8000 on mine and only got an 11-14mph increase. I bought all the top parts and had the top builders working with me. It aint worth it!!!! I was lucky and sold everything and just broke even on my investment. Now im looking for a four stroke to drop into it.
    Thank you for clarifying that Scott!, no more 1300XLT?

60% of the time, it works every time.
    dont know if it would do the same for the 800, but I bought a keyway from WFO when I did my motor and while it may not give you any top speed, it gives noticable acceleration at a modest price and if your motor is apart, its easy to do.

Andy still have the 1300XLT EFI, my original ski is a 800. Upgraded the key is the last mod you want to do in the literal sense. The keyway in itself is not a good mod for the 800 due to the extreme porting.

Thread Information