Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Lost some coolant

Hey guys, took my ski out for the first time in a few months. I checked the coolant level and topped it up to the maximum fill level while it was cold. After about 1 hour of riding the bottle was below the minimum fill level. I didn't notice this until I got home and had flushed it out.. There was a slight amount of what looked to be really diluted coolant in the bottom of the hull, but if there was more it drained out of the bungs unnoticed on the drive home.
    I ran it for a few minutes on the hose after topping it back up and didn't see any leaks anywhere, could there possibly have been an air lock or something in the motor, I haven't changed the coolant though, only ever topped it up a bit.. I remember seeing a while ago that there looked to be some coolant around the rideplate, but never have I went through that much coolant..
    Any ideas guys?

+1
    While i had it running on the hose, i raised up the revs a few times and didnt see anything bubbling in the coolant bottle. Im really hoping its not the head gasket.. I have been topping up small amounts every 20 hours or so for as long as i can remember. My dealer told me its normal to go through a bit, but that doesnt sound right. the ski has 97 hours on it currently.
    Any typical areas to look out for leaks? as i mentioned in the first post, a long time ago i noticed some coolant coming from the ride plate area, i dont think it was from the drain plug..

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I dont think its normal to lose ANY coolant at all.

you should consider doing a pressure test,

not hard as it sounds, just do it inside a garage where is nice and quiet.

+1
    How do i do the pressure test? You think because i have been having to put in coolant since pretty much brand new that it is unlikely to be the head gasket and more likely a leak somewhere that has slowly worsened over time? im hoping this is the case..

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I dont think it could be the head gasket unless you beat the shit out of the ski.
    its probalby on some connection on the rideplate inside the hull or a connection near the thermostat.

to do a pressure test you can either buy a special cap that you fit on the coolant tank and add air through it.

or you can disconnect the coolant tank and add pressure through that hose and look for leaks.

as far as pressure I would so something like 16lbs or 8kilograms of pressure.
    not really sure what is the operating pressure on these engines, but thats just a good pressure that cars can run on.

+1
    Hey guys, in the process of trying to do a pressure test.. I am just putting my air gun in the coolant bottle and semi sealing it off by jamming a rag in there also.. Seems to be doing the trick. I tried it while the motor was cold and couldn't detect any leaks. Then I thought that the motor should probably be at running temp so the thermo is open.. Is that correct?

+1
    Ease your mind about the head gasket. Check the oil. If it's normal and not milky or separated then your head gasket should be ok. I would check the rideplate connections. When the thermo opens up the system builds 13 ish psi to male it more efficient. Your leaks I do believe are hose based and not engine based. I would replace the hoses to and from rideplate going to and from engine as well as fill bottle. Sometimes they go bad just as in a car. Shit happens ya know. The rubber hose is cheap and can be bought at an auto store. high pressure high temp hose is what you want. I took hose sizes from the side of the hoses and bought x amount of needed feet of each size. 12.00 or so for them all. Paid by the foot. Also reused OEM clamps. Hope this helps.

+1
    Typically when they are slightly blown they will only leak under full boost. You will also not see water in your oil. if u want to know for sure watch things after some wot runs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    Typically when they are slightly blown they will only leak under full boost. You will also not see water in your oil. if u want to know for sure watch things after some wot runs.
    +1

Dont ask how I know this.

+1
    I did a few WOT runs a few weeks ago with the overflow tube in the footwell. After a good 3 or so runs a little coolant did spill out of the overflow.. I was thinking it was just due to me filling the bottle to the max fill line when it was cold though as I did a few more runs and it seemed fine.. Is there any harm in just leaving it if it is the head gasket? It's been losing coolant slowly for many many hours. Seems to be gradually getting worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information